Hondo's Bar

Elliott Smith is dead.

mysterytramp

It's sad that this is my first post here in a long time.

I dont usually get saddened by the deaths of people I've never really known. I am truly gutted that he had to end his life this way, he was artist that just HAD to be heard.

"'Depressing' isn't a word I would use to describe my music. But there is some sadness in it -- there has to be, so that the happiness in it will matter." - Elliott Smith (1969 - 2003)

From MTV.com:

"Folk-punk singer/songwriter Elliott Smith has died, an apparent suicide, according to the Los Angeles County Department of the Coroner's office. Smith was found in his apartment, in the Silverlake section of Los Angeles, by a female friend, who took him to a local hospital at approximately 12:18 p.m. on Tuesday.

He was pronounced dead at Los Angeles County University of Southern California Medical Center just over an hour later. He was 34.

A single knife wound that appeared to be self-inflicted was evident on the body, though police detectives are investigating the incident for foul play and/or other possibilities. No other details were available at press time."

He was mostly known in the mainstream for doing a few songs on the soundtrack to 'Good Will Hunting', this got him an Oscar nomination for the song 'Miss Misery'. If you've seen 'The Royal Tenenbaums' you'll also know the song 'Needle in the Hay' which is used in the scene where Richie slashes his wrists.

I'd advise anyone whos likes this stuff to pick up any of his albums, especially XO (or Either/Or, or Figure 8, or Roman Candle or the eponymous one).

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived