Hondo's Bar

Greatest Syndicated Comic Strip of All Time

Reverend Jax

What is the Greatest Syndicated Comic Strip of All Time  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmmm, tough one. I give For Better of For Worse some major repsect for actually having an ongoing time-based storyline. The Boondocks and Doonesbury are fantastic at being current. The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes will always be two of the...quirkier greats. But I think of them all, Peanuts and Garfield share the title of undisputed king of the Sunday strip.

See, I love Garfield and Peanuts both for their characters and setups, but they both fall short in the keeping it fresh department. I've been reading the funny pages since I was 7 years old. If a Fox Trot rerun is printed, I know it right away. With Garfield and Peanuts (while Shultz was still making new ones), I couldn't tell and new strip from a twenty year old strip. Jim Davis and Charles Shultz may have creates something amazing, but they rested on their laurel and as a result, I think both Peanuts and Garfield are stale today.

I've been reading the funny pages since I was 7 years old. If a Fox Trot rerun is printed, I know it right away. With Garfield and Peanuts (while Shultz was still making new ones), I couldn't tell and new strip from a twenty year old strip.

Yeah, but there's a fuck of allot more "Peanuts" strips than there are "Fox Trot" ones.

Anyways, "Chuck" and the gang definitely get my vote. I've loved "Peanuts" since I was a kid and still have loads of those Mattel collections from back in the day. I was genuinely saddened when "Peanuts" finished and then when Schultz died. One of the coolest things that I ever acquired over the years was a Life Magazine from the 1960s with Charlie Brown and Snoopy on the cover and a big interview/article with Schultz inside. Even my old cel-phone had a Linus sticker on the back of it.

I was really psyched to find out that Fantagraphics are gonna be publishing the whole strip from start to finish starting in April. I'll be picking them up as they arrive for sure.

complete_peanuts.gif

The cover of Fantagraphics first Peanuts collection

As for the other strips, "Garfield" never really floated my boat. "The Far Side" is brilliant and everyone has to agree with that one (though I do have a good friend who like Homer Simpson just doesn't get it...). Larson is a warped genius. “Dilbert” just doesn’t do anything for me. “Boondocks” is good - but not great. “Calvin and Hobbes” is also a classic, but it just got beaten by “Peanuts”.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived