Hondo's Bar

Panic Room

I caught this one yesterday, and I have to say, it was pretty damned good.  It was certainly not as good as fincher's other stuff (the game, fight club, se7en), because it's really just a well done genre movie, not anything all that ambitious.  I wasn't dissapointed at all though, it was one of the best "thrillers" i've ever seen.  I thought it was really well written.  The characters were actually intelligent, they didn't do anything stupid just because the script required it, kind of surprised me that they were actually thinking, and got realistic results from what they tried.  After watching this you'll realize how dumb characters in other thrillers are.  It's kind of cool, the guy who wrote this wrote the Spiderman script, so it's nice to know that they have a smart writer.  It was pretty well shot too, of course, Fincher throws in some of those gratuitous CG shots that pan through the entire house (thought not entirely gratuitous so you know the layout of the house well and can follow the action).  But a lot of the more suspenful parts look straight out of a hitchcock movie so I thought that was really cool.  Wasn't perfect though, it started slow as hell... if you've seen the trailer you'll want a fast forward button for the first half hour, and considering how different the rest of the movie was, the ending could have been less formulaic.  Overall it was very much worth watching... especially if you're sick of thrillers where characters act like morons and 90% of what happens is due to coincidence.

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much agree with everything you had to say. Fight Club is my all-time favorite movie and I wsa excited to see and new Fincher flick, even though he has had moments of...eh well...Alien 3, we'll leave it at that. I really didn't understand the part where :0  (warning, warning, spoiler ahead, keep reading from next smilie) Jodie Foster wouldn't clue the cop at the door in on teh situation. It seemed to me that he gave her a perfect oppurtunity. Without the audio coming in to the panic room, it should have been safe. I must have missed something. I thought maybe she wanted to kill them, not have them arrested, but that didn't make sense for me at the end. :0  Other than that little confusion, I was very happy with the movie. Jodie Foster sure can choose her roles.

• 3 weeks later...

This only came out in Britain/Ireland this weekend. Certainly not as good as his other films but a very good film made from an average plot. I agree with Junker on the ending, coulda been better.

As for the BIG SPOILER, :0 if she alerted him, Jodie didn't know what the cops would do and if the daughter would be killed so she complied with the robbers. :0 I think anyway!