Hondo's Bar

Fincher to direct MI: III??????????

Fincher to direct MI3?? ?? ? ??

I just stumbled across this today and it surprised the hell out of me.  I really like Fincher, but he is challenging the hell out of himself.  I don't know if he can do it, but if he makes it very different form the previous two he can.  They need to drop that goddamned writer.  The problems with the last two movies were all about the writing.  So, all of fincher's good movies have had great writing.  Fight club and the game are pretty obviously well written, se7en could have been written as an average detective flick, but the script suprassed that genre, and Panic room would have been a really shitty average thriller without the awesome writing.  Don't know if Fincher can work with a shitty writer.  The last franchise movie he made didn't turn out well either... and it was part 3 like this one too!  Hmm, I'm worried, and I wish he'd do something else, but I still have high hopes for it.

Well, remember MI2 wasnt much like MI1 at all.  Lotsa folks bitch bout MI1 bein confusuing an all, but i came outta it - granted, the 2nd time - thinkin it was pretty good.  A helluva lot smarter than MI2 as well, but no one hired on Woo expectin Sheaksperean dialogue anyway.  

I figure Fincer will just go back to the original movie's roots, he handled thriller/suspense stuff rather well in The Game.

If Fincher's directing then we should see a completely different animal in M:I3. Fincher has been making quite a name for himself and has become pretty established and I doubt he would agree to direct M:I3 just because it was a big name big budget hollywood summer sequel if he didn't think the script was up to par. Last summer (the summer of sequels and remakes) didn't turn me on to how hollywood is doing sequels nowadays, but let's hope they are tryign to move away from that.

I guess, but I don't think Fincher's talent should be wasted by making him a director for hire.  I've gotta watch the first one again, I liked it, but it was nothing spectacular.  2nd one was a bunch of great action scenes interrupted by people like, talking and taking off masks and stuff.  My prediction for this one is that it'll be good, but nowhere near as good as if he would have directed something else.  Hopefully he'll just blow us away, and the writer will realize how bad the other two scripts were and just knock this one out of the park.  Hope he gets it done quickly though, so he can get back to better stuff.