Hondo's Bar

Master of Puppets is 20 today

MusicManiac

B000025ZVE.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

'Master of Puppets' is 20 years old to the day today.

- Released, this day in 86, it is IMO, the one album that shaped Metallica as a band.

Shit, I remember I had this one on tape at one point... :)

An album that we, well fans of the band anyway, all hold in very high regard. It's still a mainstay of metal music 'rotations'...

This album is THE classic metal album from the 80s. At a time when bands such as Kiss, Poison, etc. and other limp wristed rockers were dominating the metal charts, along came Metallica with this, their third album...and blasted alot of the competition away.

Personally, I love this CD, I throw it in and still after all this time I am blown by the sick guitar riffs on this album. It is virtually untouched by the studio as well. The sound is something that no band all this time later can replicate, IMO.

In fact I agree with alot of online reviews including this one...

Sound: This record is a rich tapestry of metal sound. From blisteringly fast tracks like "Battery" and "Damage Inc." to the mellower "Welcome Home(Sanitarium)," and all those in between, this album shows Metallica's true creative power. Musically, the best track on the entire album is an instrumental called "Orion." This was a maturation of the raw sound that Metallica produced on Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. // 10

Lyrics: James showcased his lyrical genius with this album, and every song, with the exception of "Battery," "Damage Inc.," and "Orion," conveys the emotion and feeling that the words themselves are supposed to. In "Master of Puppets," you can feel James' helplessness in his alcohol addiction. It is easy to empathize with the desperate soldier in "Disposable Heroes," and "Leper Messiah"'s dripping sarcasm is palpable. James sings with a voice that is perfectly suited to the style of music he performs, and his lyrics and his vocals mesh perfectly with the music being played. // 10

Impression: Master of Puppets is by far my favorite album of all time. Few records come close to the power and feeling of this album. By far the most impressive songs I have ever heard are off this album, like "Master of Puppets" and "Orion." I don't have any problems with this record, and if it were stolen, I'd immediately go out and buy a new one, THEN look for the sucker who stole it and take it back with liberal use of force. I recommend that anyone reading this review who does not own this album should go out right now and buy it. // 10

In other Metallica news...

Todd McFarlane to release Metallica "Master of Puppets" sculpture

metallica-group-vintage.jpg

McFarlane Toys will release a 3D sculpture of the cover art for Metallica's classic 1986 album "Master of Puppets." The sculpture will be 7" squared and made from PVC.

McFarlane Toys has released many heavy metal related figurines including Ozzy Osbourne's "Bark at the Moon," Iron Maiden's "The Trooper," and Metallica's "Justice for All"-era figurine stage set. For a detailed look at the figurines created by this comic book legend, go to www.spawn.com.

Check back in with The Gauntlet for further news on this topic.

SOURCE: 93X.COM

• 3 months later...

Metallica played here Sunday 11th.

BEST. CONCERT. EVER.

They played all of MoP over here too. I heard Orion live!!! Thats one Metallica song I've always wanted to hear live but thought it would never happen.

But fuck me that had to be the best gig I have ever seen. Ever!!! I was so hyper afterwards I had to step on a cat to calm myself down! :P

Archived