Hondo's Bar

Hitman

The NZA

what's he done in recent years? and yeah, those pics literally came from a discussion i was having where mccrea's art in hitman was being shat on, and the point was made that he really stepped it up as the book went on. that last spread there, i remember my roomate scanning it years back, so good.

He did the last few issues of the Marvel Knights run of the Punisher, he did probably 10 or so issues of The Boys (all of Herogasm among other issues here and there), and honestly not a whole hell of a lot else. His art's as strong as it ever was, the problem lies with the person who colorizes/inks it. Digitial inking tends to have more of a bleached almost watercolor quality to it that just doesn't stand up to the very dark and vivid colors of old school inks (this is not 100% true, some inkers/colorists still rock at working digital. it's just not a lazy man's game.)

Mccrea's art for Hitman is perfect for the book and I have a hard time picturing anything else. That issue after Ace of Killers ends where they bring on a "proper" guest artist makes so many things (Baytor in particular) just look weird and out of place. It really is a perfect representation of the subject matter of the book: at first glance it's cartoony and sophomoric, but on closer inspection you start noticing fine little details that makes it look more "real" than if it was photo-realistic art. It's hard to describe but it's one of my favorite uses of art in a comic and something I always try to convey to people when I'm selling the book.

• Upvote 1