Hondo's Bar

Policenauts

bishopcruz

From Joystiq

While most American gamers know Hideo Kojima as the man behind the blockbuster Metal Gear Solid franchise, the two games he worked on before breaking out with MGS are considered forgotten masterpieces. One, Snatcher, saw a limited U.S. release on the ill-fated Sega CD. The other, Policenauts, has never been available in English.

That seems poised to change, though, as Kojima fan-site Junker HQ has just announced the completion of a five-year project to translate the game's text. Only some technical work remains before the translation is released as a patch on the newly relaunched policenauts.net, currently targeted for the second half of 2007.

Theoretically, the patch will require a CD-R, an official Japanese version of the game and a modded PlayStation to work, but emulator-compatible ISOs are sure to leak out for the less scrupulous among us. While you wait, check out the game's Wikipedia entry to get some idea of what made the game so special.

policenauts.jpg

One of the best games we never got, I got the Saturn version years ago, and the game was pretty cool, I couldn't understand shit though, it is the next evolution of Snatcher. Where Snatcher was an homage to Blade Runner, Policenauts is more an homage to Lethal Weapon and all those cool buddy cop films from the late 80's early ninties. I have been waiting over 10 years to play this game, so I am psyched as shit.

Anyone else care? If you liked Snatcher, you should.

Here's the original trailer:

OMG...that is so awesome. You have no idea how long I've been wanting to play this game but..

Theoretically, the patch will require a CD-R, an official Japanese version of the game and a modded PlayStation to work, but emulator-compatible ISOs are sure to leak out for the less scrupulous among us.

Which suck for me cause I don't the Japanese version or a modded PlayStation and I have no idea on how to use an emulator. :ded:

OMG...that is so awesome. You have no idea how long I've been wanting to play this game but..

Which suck for me cause I don't the Japanese version or a modded PlayStation and I have no idea on how to use an emulator. :pinch:

Shouldn't be too bad, there are a ton, ePSXe is probably the best one. Then again a chipped PS1 has got to be dirt cheap nowadays.

ill get it this week then. how long's the game? i gotta double check tho man, i coulda sworn one of the games emu'd on my dreamcast was Sonic CD. if i can somehow get fusion or whichever one the DC's using to run Snacher, id be all over that.

• 5 months later...

...how did this turn out? i havent seen any news on it, and i did wanna play this game.

also, i just saw this topic and remembered i need to go back and download that stuff.

with my illogical abhorrent fear of gaming on the PC, is there anyway i can play this on a console? im still salty i knew nothing of this somehow whilst actually having a Sega-CD.

• 2 years later...

So yeah, played the hell out of this patch, been waiting for about 14-15 years, ever since I got the Saturn version when I was in High School. In either case, lotta fun, feels a lot like Snatcher, which is good. I didn't think it was quite as good, but that one would have been hard to beat.

Archived