Hondo's Bar

Lauryn Hill

The NZA

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

Another thread lost in the crash...

As much as i dug the Fugees, Lauryn runs circles around their efforts. The above-pictured album was a classic, and her Unplugged album, while it wasnt for everyone, was a deep and impressive performance that really reminded me what can come from music like that when its not being covered by hacks like ashanti or something. I cant speak highly enough of either album, so rather than, ill post a link to her new single.

"Lose myself" is hopefully the first of something she's working on for later this year, following or preceeding her tour this summer. Its good, not her best song but after so many years, its good to hear her in general.

"Lose myself"

• 1 year later...
As much as i dug the Fugees, Lauryn runs circles around their efforts.

You think Lauryn runs circles around the Fugees? That's what a fool believes, Nick! That's what a fool believes!

Nah, while the most of the songs on Miseducation were inspired, I felt that there was too much between-song sketches, that brought the momentum of the album to a screeching halt several times, and maybe of the songs were a tad to long, or could have used a better bridge to keep 'em interesting, something that never happened when I listen to Wyclef shit (though Wyclef has his own list of shortcomings). Seriously, the Fugees were like a perfect storm of talent between those three, even Pras deserves some props for keeping those two albums flowing along.

As for a possible future reunion, Pras said "Before I work with Lauryn Hill again, you will have a better chance of seeing Osama Bin Laden and [George W.] Bush in Starbucks having a latte, discussing foreign policies, before there will be a Fugees reunion [...] At this point I really think it will take an act of God to change her, because she is that far out there."

Shame.

Nah, while the most of the songs on Miseducation were inspired, I felt that there was too much between-song sketches, that brought the momentum of the album to a screeching halt several times, and maybe of the songs were a tad to long, or could have used a better bridge to keep 'em interesting, something that never happened when I listen to Wyclef shit (though Wyclef has his own list of shortcomings). Seriously, the Fugees were like a perfect storm of talent between those three, even Pras deserves some props for keeping those two albums flowing along.

As for a possible future reunion, Pras said "Before I work with Lauryn Hill again, you will have a better chance of seeing Osama Bin Laden and [George W.] Bush in Starbucks having a latte, discussing foreign policies, before there will be a Fugees reunion [...] At this point I really think it will take an act of God to change her, because she is that far out there."

Shame.

wow, where to start?

first up: if you were bothered by sketches, The Score had...a score of them.

and Pras was a hanger-on. Lauryn was clearly the stand-out of the crew that could both rap & sing. Wycleff is good on his own & can produce, but Pras was like that chick in Destiny's Child that no one knows her name: he felt like a groupie. Case in point: he hasnt done shit of merit since.

if you dont think Lauryn can do better, i implore you to check out her 2-disc Unplugged album. I oughta make you a copy, Jax, cause id venture youd dig it; its not for everyone but its really impressive stuff that i didnt think her capable of before.

also, the first Fugees album "Blunted on Reality" wasnt the breakway hit but it had Nappy Heads and a few other fun tracks.

Archived