Hondo's Bar

golden and sliver age comics

golden and sliver age comics do you rate them?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

okay,

for a long time now it's always annoyed me when people say stuff like "comics were best in the 60's"

or "jack kirby is the best artist ever" or "nobody's better than stan lee"

for me all three of these statements are beyond crap.

now i'm not denying their influence or importance but when you compare jack kirby with darrick robertson

or stan lee with alan moore there's really no contest.

what do y'all think?

aw, im comin' off as a hater here.

bear in mind, due to price, ive read very little silver age and not much golden at that. Early DD, Green Lantern (especially the silver age GL/Green Arrow crossover book) and a handful of other classics like early Spidey - which blew my mind, with new villains like every issue - but by the time i was old enough to read comics, there was Venom, there was Simonson on Thor, there was Punisher everywhere, there was a lot going on and books werent the same, cause Miller & Moore had already helped change things.

so yeah, ive got respect for the founding fathers, but no real attachment to their works, having not grown up with them. i gotta find this older thread youd dig, it was about creators vs good writers who flesh characters out...i.e., did Bob Kane create Batman, or did writers like Miller who shaped him into how we understand him today?

aw, im comin' off as a hater here.

bear in mind, due to price, ive read very little silver age and not much golden at that. Early DD, Green Lantern (especially the silver age GL/Green Arrow crossover book) and a handful of other classics like early Spidey - which blew my mind, with new villains like every issue - but by the time i was old enough to read comics, there was Venom, there was Simonson on Thor, there was Punisher everywhere, there was a lot going on and books werent the same, cause Miller & Moore had already helped change things.

so yeah, ive got respect for the founding fathers, but no real attachment to their works, having not grown up with them.

well i've read quite a lot silver age marvel especially spider-man and x-men.

in the u.k. comics they print a lot of of the classics as well as current issues.

i remember reading an interview with j.r. jr and he was saying that he did'nt deserve the praise he was recieving, that he was nowhere near as good as previous spidey artists such as his father and ditko

AmazingSpider-Man008.jpg

1975-12-amazingspider-man151-john-r.jpg

ASM500028s.jpg

yeah that makes sense

i gotta find this older thread youd dig, it was about creators vs good writers who flesh characters out...i.e., did Bob Kane create Batman, or did writers like Miller who shaped him into how we understand him today?

you mean this one that i resurrected a couple of weeks ago after almost exactly six years?

Archived