Hondo's Bar

Bootleg, or no?

The NZA

Are these "entire series in a 3 disc set, unopened!" sets bootlegs?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, so jax once said he picked up all of Cowboy Bebop (i think) on ebay for like $25 or so, i think it was the 3 disc set. pretty sure he watches em subbed (as god intended) and no quality complaints that i heard of, anyway.

so, here's the same $30 deal for Samurai Champloo; its likely the same set newt/maldron pointed out last week that's clearly not the huge tin box with a bandana set, but a 3-disc "asian" one. Pretty sure its not legit, but if i pick it up, any idea on the quality? Ive seen some fansubs that were superior to the retail ones, myself, but im hoping to not get suckered into something barely watchable.

What NewT said.

Cj and I used to get Hong Kong DVD sets all the time, but they are technically bootlegs. We used to get TONS of shit from this one shop in Dallas, but I guess they got caught selling and stopped. or claimed they stopped. I dunno, it was a sad day though, haha.

Bootleg.

There are, as MH mentioned Hong Kong subs of frequently questionable quality (I once watched a Hong Kong DVD of Yuyu Hakusho with English subtitles that seemed to be some sort of code or game . This game seemed to invovle switching words in a sentence with one another, frequently throwing in a "wild" word that could be counted as any other word in the sentence, or switching characters names so that Kurama was now Hiei and Kurama was now Hiei. It was a very confusing game). At other times, the translations sould be of wonderful quality (sometimes even better than authentic English subs we get here).

As for the cheap ones you get from ebay, you can get seemingly very good deals for fansubs that are otherwise free (not counting the price of the disc or tape). An example of this would be when a friend of mine bought all of Ebichu on a DVD from Ebay. It was basically all of the complete series, fansubed by a group and then sold (excellent quality, by the way).

Many anime fans sort of police themselves when it comes to a series being picked up. That is, they fansub or collect a series until it is available domestically, then continue with the authentic tapes or DVDs. This is done for various reasons, usually involving concern for the anime industry or that anime may eventually come more closely under the eye of a group like the MPAA (and wanting to forestall such an occurance).

Bootlegging is wrong and we should stop doing it.

Eh, sometimes. If it isn't available elsewhere, or the legit version just plain sucks, then I dunno...

I'd love a copy of Star Wars IV -VI in DVD and eventually Blueray without all the "improvemnts" Lucas made, but I doubt that'll happen. If a bootleg like that were available, I'd be sorely tempted to get it.

Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing.

Why, thank you for that lesson. I wouldn't have known what you meant if you'd simply stated that you were being sarcastic. :p

Bootleg.

There are, as MH mentioned Hong Kong subs of frequently questionable quality (I once watched a Hong Kong DVD of Yuyu Hakusho with English subtitles that seemed to be some sort of code or game . This game seemed to invovle switching words in a sentence with one another, frequently throwing in a "wild" word that could be counted as any other word in the sentence, or switching characters names so that Kurama was now Hiei and Kurama was now Hiei. It was a very confusing game). At other times, the translations sould be of wonderful quality (sometimes even better than authentic English subs we get here).

As for the cheap ones you get from ebay, you can get seemingly very good deals for fansubs that are otherwise free (not counting the price of the disc or tape). An example of this would be when a friend of mine bought all of Ebichu on a DVD from Ebay. It was basically all of the complete series, fansubed by a group and then sold (excellent quality, by the way).

Many anime fans sort of police themselves when it comes to a series being picked up. That is, they fansub or collect a series until it is available domestically, then continue with the authentic tapes or DVDs. This is done for various reasons, usually involving concern for the anime industry or that anime may eventually come more closely under the eye of a group like the MPAA (and wanting to forestall such an occurance).

hahaha so true!! One Piece was one of the larger sets we had gotten like 4 or 5 years back that just totally boggled my mind when it came to subbing. It would be a disc of wonderful subtitles, and then BAM it's a puzzle! haha. They called Sanji every fucking name under the sun. And once you got used to one thing, it was on to another, haha.

hahaha so true!! One Piece was one of the larger sets we had gotten like 4 or 5 years back that just totally boggled my mind when it came to subbing. It would be a disc of wonderful subtitles, and then BAM it's a puzzle! haha. They called Sanji every fucking name under the sun. And once you got used to one thing, it was on to another, haha.

It was the same for me when I got both GTO and ZZ Gundam. Everybody had a new name every five fucking minutes.

Archived