Hondo's Bar

Favorite comic book game conversion

The NZA

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This irrelevant poll is just outta curiosity; i cant imagine Spider-Man for PSX not winnin, but then again, i wouldve bet $ that FF VI would win the other poll, so im interested.

Didnt include the Atari Spider-Man, X-Men for NES (there was a hard one), The Crow sereis (ugh), Superman 64 (even worse), or a few others that really didnt stand out, but i know im forgettin a few, feel free to remind me.  

Anyway, like Movie-to-game, this is a dangerous genre that usually sucks, but the arcade ones were fun too, and god knows i played X-Men for genesis too damn much.

Oh, and should i ever revive my SNES since Artisitc vicously killed it, ill be happy to show those of you who dont know what X-Men: Return of Apocalypse is, it was kinda fun.

Are we thinkin of the same one?

Back in the day, at all those generic reststops when youre headin up north of miami, the arcades had a Superman game, i think it was by Taito. You'd walk around the level & beat up thugs like Final Fight, but some levles you'd fly and shoot your heat vision most of the time. Game was kinda fun 'cause itd alternate the levels a bit..what was the konami one like? :D

The arcade ones win out in my opinion, Granted i've never played spidey for PSX but the arcade ones were the funnest gameplay. Consoles did have a few shining stars but i was very few arcade "comic" games i didnt like.

One console worth mentioning was one of the Xmen games for genesis. One level you had to fight Mojo and then try to stop a critical computer meltdown... After weeks of frustration and nearly open violence I had just about exhausted every last possible way of beating the level.   :angry:  So the next time i Beat Mojo i could not think of ANYTHING different to do so i finally said FUCK IT threw the controller down and i stomped off and reset the game...

Then while angrily looking to see what game i was to pop in next I glanced over and saw Binary across the screen. I then watched open mouthed as the system "rebooted" and poped me back in the game on my way happily to the next level!?!?!

I could not belive the answer to the puzzle was resetting the system!!! :angry:  It still makes me mad to think about that one. :angry:

~TD

"Anger Anger ONGER!"

-the other white meat

Haha...it ought be noted i once read that that programmer's trick caused more hatemail to be sent to Sega than any other game created.

Which is pretty interestin, considerin there was a low production run game for atari 2600 (i think) called "Custer's Revenge", which basically involved a naked indian woman tied ot a cactus & the player...uh, gettin his revenge on.  It was pretty fucked up, but mildly funny.  Again, still didnt piss off as many as X-men did, tho.

Although if were talkin games that made ya violent...fuck Mortal Kombat, Ecco the Dolphin made me wanna snipe spotted owls.  That damn creature had a mind of his own. :D

Did anyone else play my copy of X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse for SNES? That shit was kinda fun, play as Cyk, Wolvy, Gambit, Beast or Psylocke, fightin Sentinels, Omega Red, Apocalypse, Exodus, Magneto etc....hard, but one of the better console comic games.  Any others i forgot?

I've played all of em up there, and I have to go with the arcade ones 'cause they were really great.  But the one arcade game I'm thinking of isn't listed.  It was a game that alternated between nintendo game-style platform parts, where your guy would shoot at enemys, and then it would zoom in, and it would switch to a final fight style game, and after you'd finish combos, you'd read the sound effects "SMACK!  FWOP! etc"  It had Spiderman, Namor, Hawkeye and I think one other guy in it, and it started off with you fighting an inexplicably huge Venom, that took up like the whole screen.  I remember loving that one, trying to find a rom of it.  Other than the Konami Batman for SNES, my favorite was the Sega Cd one, which I just remember having a Badass Batmobile part.  I should still have it, but no working sega cd.  Oh, and remember that other Batman Game for Genesis, the insanely hard one that was by Konami i think?  I couldn't get past the first fuckin level of that...

I loved the X-Men games for the Sega Genesis. Clone Wars particularly... I always played as Cyclops or Nightcrawler. Nighty wasn't quite as kickass as all the other possible characters, but still, I had a soft spot for him ever since I started reading Excalibur in 4th grade.  :D

Actually, Nick, you were right a/b the Superman game.  It was Taito.  That game used to make me mad b/c I wanted to get past level 3 so freaking bad & never had enough quarters.

That 6 player X-Men was one of the funnest moments in my arcade experience... part of the fun was seeing who got to be stuck with whimpy ass Dazzler.

Ok... had a thought...  You guys remember BattleToads, right?  Remember they came out with all those SNES & Genesis games a/b them, and there were actually some weak ass comics out there featuring them.  Well, here's my question.

How many of you guys were lucky enough to experience the BattleToads arcade game?  I know there's got to be only a handful of people on this Earth who have even seen the thing.  This version of the game was as god-awful close to rated X as possible, not many arcades carried it.  I know of only 1 spot in Miami that had it, and that was Bird Bowl.

This game displayed horrendous amounts of violence... above & beyond your average rinky-dink 2D group-fighter game.  Zitz would jump in the air and do a spin kick that would turn his leg into an axe which would decapitate whoever's standing next to him.  I recall confronting one of the bosses (first level I believe) and defeating him by dodging his bullcharge, then grabbing his crotch & nailing him at least 4 good times until he collapsed... then punting his ass off the screen.  It get's worse.  For those of you who played the game, you may recall the giant snake boss at the end of one level who's head was larger than the 3 players combined.  One of the gruesomest scenes in arcade history ever, the snake would then proceed to bob back & forth until the right moment when you weren't paying attention, then he would dive down, whip out these fangs that were at least the length of your character's body, impale your 'Toad, shower blood all over the screen, then crunch on your body a few times before swallowing.

If you've played it, let me know, otherwise I'll try to look up something on it for reference.

Ha..yeah i do, once i recall you & TD took me to Bird Bowl & showed it to me, was...interestin. Never saw much like that, outside of Splatterhouse and such.

Of those ones for console, i thought the SNES one was fuckin cool, but damn they were all hard as hell.

And Nightcrawler was cool on Genesis 'cause he'd teleport all over the place.  Excalibur tho? Woo wee, that one went bad its last few years or so.

I wish I'd played Battletoads... My cousin Nick got it taken away from him for all the violence before I got to see it...  :scared:

Yes, Excalibur went very bad near the end. I stopped reading it a while before they all disbanded and now I don't read any of the X-Men comics... But it was so much fun back in the days of teenage Shadowcat and Widget and cross-dimensional adventuring...  :D