Hondo's Bar

Mother 3 (Earthbound)

The NZA

Just beat it! Man! Damn nearly 30 hours.

tumblr_ox1ygm6JFs1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ox1ygmonJD1vndct2o1_540.jpg

I liked how it's essentially a giant tragedy - kinda right from the onset.

LOL - the humor was soooo raunchy! As I was playing, I was wondering if the humor would make some derpy parents complain about how 'that's a bit too adult for my kid'. I also wondered if it would be a factor that would make Nintendo put out sum giant disclaimer when it eventually makes it's US debut - 'Um - okay: This ain't Pokemon. We got sum pretty heavy innuendo in here. LOL - sense of humor recommended w/ this particular IP.'

Music was pretty damn groovy. To really appreciate the work of sum obvious serious music-lovers...headphones. Greatness. Loved how you can get engaged and tap the attack button while you're attacking - to the rhythm of the music playing along w/ an enemy encounter - and get a combo streak going. Niiice.

Different enemies have different tunes - so, when you bump into a group (a bunch of enemies just waiting to ambush you)...if you aim at an enemy w/ a groovy track - it's music track will be the tune that plays for the group battle. Sum music is easier to get into the rhythm of than others...so the game's music provides strategy - so that's cool.

Yeah, it's a massive improvement in every way from Earthbound. I've tried the original MOTHER for the NES way back when the internet became a thing - but I couldn't get into it. It was like a really ass-backward primitive version of Earthbound, and I remember it just being painful to play. LOL But I'm reconsidering...for the story / humor / absurdity. Also - to check out dem 8-bit tunes. headbang.gif But, ah dunno...that game was rough.

MOTHER 3s sprite-work and animation was all just delicious. Just a great place / world to easily get sucked into. Just a really good game all around if you're into RPGs. I'm actually not that big a RPG connoisseur...for me, turn-based battles can get boring - and the constant thoughtful leveling-up of stats (wisdom / intelligence / fortitude) - I really don't enjoy. I prefer that Kingdom Hearts / Secret of Mana style. The engaging approach to 'turned-based' RPG combat, like what MOTHER 3 and Paper Mario do, I dig.

MOTHER 3 is essential - if you enjoyed Earthbound.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...