Hondo's Bar

Mother 3 (Earthbound)

The NZA

For those that don't know, EarthBound was a little known NES rpg that barely made it to the states; however, the sequel, again EarthBound, was one of the SNES's most innovative rpg's.  The character didnt make gold by slaughtering slimes and such, but rather, beatin up pinko hippies in the middle of the road enocuraged your father to leave more $ in your ATM, etc.  It was a fun, great game, and there hasnt been one like it since.  

Now, Mother 3 (as the series is called in Japan) was to be for the N64 Disc Drive, which we all know failed terribly before actually makin it to the market, so the game went with it.  However, there have been rumors that the series creators, HAL (responsible for the fine Super Smash Bros series) - a 2nd party company, meanin theyre funded by Nintendo directly - have considered upgradin the game for the current Nintendo GameCube, and subsequently a massive online petition has been initiated.

Now, before writin off these here petitions, it should be known, other such petitions ive taken part in have worked: one of em got the controversial masterpiece Xenogears brought over here when it wasnt gonna be, and now there's a whole series of it onna way, the second of which ensured special editions of Zelda 64 returned to the classic gold cartridge format.  So, they do indeed work, and theyre very quick - sigh your name & email (you wont get spammed dont worry) and a comment if ya like, and youre done, and your support really helps.

EarthBound 3 petition - only takes a minute, please help if ya get a chance.

m3monkey.gif

Just wanted signatures, and i get piggies & X-box...*sobs*

Fine! Whatever it takes to get this fine game pushed through, here, here's a damn piggy, you strange bastrad!

One minute theyre evil, then theyre lost, now they rule.. :plain: :D

:D

..now vote, damn ye! Please?

m3kids.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Argh, should i move this one to current events & hope for more activism there?

I know practically none of ya have heard of this RPG series, but i assure you its great....cmon, signin it takes less than a few minutes, howzabout doin it as a favor...?   :D

• 1 year later...

Just to update on this one...Starman.net, basically Earthbound central has recently discovered plans for a 2-in-1 Game Boy Advance cart of Earthbound 1 & 2 (2 was the SNES one; one was an NES one we didnt really get), as well as a release of the long-lost part 3, ditched after the N64 disc drive failed...

:D I'm happy; this is a quirky, fun RPG i wanted to see more of, and another reason for me to grab a GBA one day. Thanks again to Junker & any who supported the petition; whether or not it affected HAL Labs' decision, the gesture was cool.

mnwssdbar.gifpeace.gif

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

june24_b.png

so, over 6 years later, and no, no love from nintendo, but...

Mother 3 English Language Patch Hitting This Week

Nintendo of America hasn't localized Mother 3 (Earthbound 3). A shame, because the game is fantastic. Good thing that a fan-made Mother 3 translation patch is hitting this week. As game site Phantom Leap points out, it'll on computers via GBA emulators or on handhelds via flash carts. If you're interested in reading a big, meaty review, check out this Insert Credit review from a few years back. Nintendo of America really should've localized this game.

:FHD::DOffiicial translation site here. That GBA flashcart i got for my DS pays itself off very, very soon.

Played the first half hour of this today, emulated on my Wii. Bish says he's concerned emulation might lose the combat rhythm angle, havent seen that just yet.

really though, newt? baytor? anyone else on board with this one!? we've been waiting for another Earthbound for years, and here it is, you guys should be all over this!

wait, you have a wii? i demand your friend code, sir!

nah, im just playing it there 'cause i prefer playing on the big TV. its made for the GBA, so if you've a Gameboy Advance or even a DS, it prolly plays ideal there. if not, i can find you a good GBA emulator for PC instead, and post up the translated ROM...again, its like Earthbound 2, this shit needs to be shared.

wait, you have a wii? i demand your friend code, sir!

nah, im just playing it there 'cause i prefer playing on the big TV. its made for the GBA, so if you've a Gameboy Advance or even a DS, it prolly plays ideal there. if not, i can find you a good GBA emulator for PC instead, and post up the translated ROM...again, its like Earthbound 2, this shit needs to be shared.

Well technically it's Amber's, but yes I do. I know nothing of friend codes, online play, or any of that. I mostly just play Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime on it. I've never even had it online or anything and just recently found out that you can get it online without having to pay money. Other than that I am absolutely clueless.

As for GBA I'll need the emulator and translated ROM. The most advanced piece of handheld technology I have is a gameboy color.

• 2 months later...

update for newt & others buying the guide

Unfortunately we’ve had to delay the shipment of the Handbook. It’s coming along great, but the tiny details are taking up a lot of time so we’re pushing the shipment date back to the first half of March. I’ve sent out an email to all of our preorder customers and updated the MOTHER 3 Handbook page with lots of new information. If you’re thinking about preordering, do it soon because the keychain offer expires in a matter of days!

also, more a footnote to remind myself to read this later than anything: interviewing the fan translators

• 11 months later...
heh, you and bish didnt believe me. it gets more lighthearted, fear not, but im on the mighty 7th chapter, and if its going where i think its going...fans of Earthbound like myself should be quite pleased. :D

I was thinking shit was going to happen at the mid-point. NOT at the start of the game.

mother3_shot3.pngmother3_shot1.png

...alright, so i took a bit after the fan translation/book showed up (thanks again, DoJ!), but finally got this one knocked out, so very glad i did.

in comparison to Earthbound/Mother 2, it felt at times there were less varied locales you visited, but then i clocked in just over 30 hours total, meaning its a full game but not a crazy long one...i didnt spend too much time grinding till the final few hours either way. that said, you do get to go to a number of cool places, and even revisit a few (!). the quirk/charm of the series is undeniably here, looking back on the ending's montage, there's just so many great moments, and im really, really glad i waited for a proper fan translation, as i dont know that they'dve carried over otherwise. these guys are obviously huge fans, and obviously quite capable at excellent localization.

its no big secret that the game opens on a slightly somber note, and it definitely revisits that at times, but i cant stress enough how much J-RPGs, as a genre, have a whole in them without Itoi's mostly lighthearted, non-sequitur writing about. retroactive RPG of the year 2006 for me, so happy i finally got a chance to play through this one after all these years.

• 6 months later...

mother3i3.jpg

...am i the only Hondonian who experienced this classic masterpiece? say it ain't so, Hondo's...many of you claim Earthbound to be among your favorites (and lament the lack of JRPG's this gen that you like), i can't have the lot of you sleeping on this one.

• 7 years later...