Hondo's Bar

Mean Girls

So, I don't know if there used to be thread on this movie and maybe it was lost int he crash, or if there was never a thread on it, but I just finished watching it, so I figured I'd give a review:

mean_girls.jpg

So I initially skipped this one, well, because it was a teen movie starring Lindsay Lohan (I've actually never seen anything with Lindsay Lohan before today). But I later heard that it had Tina Fey and a bunch of other SNL alum in it (plus #1), that the screenplay was written by Tina Fey (plus #2) and that it had been compared by many people to Heathers (plus #3). I actually hadn't heard anyone say anything bad about it, so I watched it.

My biggest curiosity going in was how similar to Heathers it was going to be. There are definitely parallels there. A clique of four popular girls, including the protagonist who acts as an outsider to the group, a queen bee who is endlessly mean and controlling, and the two sidekicks who are abused looking for approval from the queen bee. That said, the tone of the movie is not NEARLY as dark or nihilistic as Heathers, and looking on Wikipedia, the director described it as "Clueless meets Heathers," which is much more accurate than what I had been told, ("this generation's Heathers"). The ending is happy and unrealistic, but that's OK, because it has alot of humor and honesty to it. The SNL alums provide alot of great moments, particularly Tim Meadows (who also had some great movies in Semi-Pro, another movie I only recently saw). I liked this movie, despite the fact that I was comparing it to Heathers the whole time.

4/5 Jaxes.

PS A direct-to-video sequel is supposedly in the works.

Tim Meadows was really the only reason I ended up liking this movie. I guess I do see some connections with Heathers but even when Mean Girls did decide to go dark they popped in with a "Oh, but she was okay" thing. I found it disappointing. I'd give it a 3 out of 5, the rating I give movies that are worth a rent.

Tim Meadows was really the only reason I ended up liking this movie.

Tim Meadows had some of the best lines:

Mr. Duvall: Her name is Cady. Cady Heron. Where are you, Cady?

Cady: That's me. It's pronounced like Katie.

Mr. Duvall: My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.

Mr. Duvall: Never in my 14 years as an educator have I seen such behavior. And from young ladies. I've got parents calling me on the phone and asking, ?Did someone get shot?. I oughta cancel your Spring Fling.

[all girls shout, no, and whisper among themselves]

Mr. Duvall: Now, I'm not gonna do that because we've already paid the DJ, but don't think I'm not taking this book seriously. Coach Carr has fled school property. Ms. Norbury has been accused of selling drugs. Now what the young ladies in this grade need is an attitude makeover. And you're going to get it, right now. I don't care how long it takes. I will keep you here all night.

Joan the Secretary: We can't keep them past four.

Mr. Duvall: I will keep you here until four.

Nothing remotely consequential but damned if my favourite line isn't

"... And on the eighth day, God created the Remington Bolt Action rifle so man could fight the Dinosaurs. And the Homosexuals *altogether* AMEN"

Yeah this movie's suprisingly good for a Lohan/teen chick flick.

Nothing remotely consequential but damned if my favourite line isn't

"... And on the eighth day, God created the Remington Bolt Action rifle so man could fight the Dinosaurs. And the Homosexuals *altogether* AMEN"

Yeah this movie's suprisingly good for a Lohan/teen chick flick.

God, I had forgotten about that one :D

The girls were all just spared though cause they didn't stick a penny in the door of Lohan's character's father's house?

Archived