Hondo's Bar

The Armando Iannucci Shows

From Wiki

The Armando Iannucci Shows is a series of eight programmes directed by Armando Iannucci and written by Iannucci with Andy Riley and Kevin Cecil. It was shown on UK's Channel 4 in October 2001. Each show had a rough theme, often somewhat existentialist in nature, around which Iannucci would weave a series of surreal sketches and monologues.

Recurring themes in the episodes are the superficiality of modern culture, our problems communicating with each other, the mundane nature of working life and feelings of personal inadequacy and social awkwardness. Several characters also make repeat appearances in the shows, including the East End thug, who solves every problem with threats of violence; Hugh, an old man who delivers surreal monologues about what things were like in the old days; and Iannucci's barber, who is full of nonsensical anecdotes.

The show is also notable for its use of music, the quality of its direction and the often extensive use of CGI effects.

Here's a few sketches to whet the appetite.

Excess

Sunday Observer

Village Sniper

I cannot go on about how much i love this show, and how its probably one of the finest sketch shows i've ever seen. He has a few other shows which i will invariably post up about.

Archived