Hondo's Bar

Vitamins & supplements

The NZA

1251257259.jpg

Been meaning to make this thread for a while - for one thing, Vagrant's good with this shit.

i used to take a lot of vitamin A & C, i mainly stick to Fish Oil pills now cause of the many benefits said to come from omega/fatty acids. my momma had me take A for skin & eyes as a kid, C for immune system but i dont know how much the latter holds up so ive not done it lately...it is water-soluble though, good to know you cant really overdo it, realistically.

i tried a few things for eyes, but most doctors i talked to said they were more for cataracts than night vision or retention, so those're gone, too.

for working out, i typically do a whey isolate (or whatever you call it when its straight protein, no real carbs) in the morning and after working out, unless ive got some syntha-6 left, which i mix with milk and after Vagrant pointed it out, often with a few spoons of virgin olive oil (i do cardio, so its hard to keep trying to add weight/lean mass without taking this out of my regiment completely). i do one nitric oxide called Supercharge, before workouts - its really just there to help heal up between sets so i dont get as sore/tired more than anything, some second winds here & there but that's about it. i stopped doing heavy weightgainers since they were messing with my cholesterol/stomach, so this is the extent of what ill take most times...this week, ive started this Mass FX regiment Vagrant said to try out, some hormone shit with good studies behind it. ill check back in & say when its done if ive gained anything, but i know i still need to eat more, especially with trying to pick up cardio again.

question if vagrant/someone who knows sees this: he told me to take zinc supplements for protein absorption, but others've warned this is part of why those cold medicines stopped using it, some report that mentioned damaging nasal tissue or something such? this true?

I never really felt all that 'cleaner' or healthier when I did take supps for a short while. I know my body was getting more nutrients that I often don't get in my reg diet, but I just didn't feel any different after about 3 weeks of use (which is why I probably stopped). I would be interested in a safe fat burner... it gives you a little more energy and helps with my widdle uni pack I got going on.

cuz exercise can make like a tree and go effe itself...

reason for edit: had to add the bad tree/leaf anaogly... but - the leaf and + the funzies PG rated cursing.

ah, you mean food supplements, not workout ones yeah? i shoulda specified between the 2 in my first post, there's a big difference/market. what were you looking for from them?

i know there's a lotta bullshit fatburners, but bishop on the board here has had tremendous weight loss by counting calories and taking an appetite suppressant, though i believe that last part is medically regulated/not over the counter these days.

Yea, I took just regular vitamins that you find at the generic retail stores. I bought this combo pack that was like a 2 or 3 week supply of daily stuff to take, and it was an even spread of diff kinds. I just didn't feel the difference so spending the money didn't seem worth it to me. I know most fat burners are actually moreso just energy pills, which I guess makes you more active, and in turn burns more cals, but I want a true fat burner... cuz I lurves me pizza and steak minus the jazzercise.

1251257259.jpg

Been meaning to make this thread for a while - for one thing, Vagrant's good with this shit.

question if vagrant/someone who knows sees this: he told me to take zinc supplements for protein absorption, but others've warned this is part of why those cold medicines stopped using it, some report that mentioned damaging nasal tissue or something such? this true?

Zinc is just fine to take orally. It's the over-the-counter medicine Zicam that a person squirts up there nose that causes damage to nasal tissue.

As for vitamin C, you can overdue it according to a nephrologist I spoke with. Taking megadoses (3g or more per day) can affect your kidneys (stones and the like).

Give me a call if you have any questions. I don't get on much these days since Hondo's shows up all messed up on my computer so I have to click each post individually rather than the normal scroll down option.

Zinc is just fine to take orally. It's the over-the-counter medicine Zicam that a person squirts up there nose that causes damage to nasal tissue.

As for vitamin C, you can overdue it according to a nephrologist I spoke with. Taking megadoses (3g or more per day) can affect your kidneys (stones and the like).

Give me a call if you have any questions. I don't get on much these days since Hondo's shows up all messed up on my computer so I have to click each post individually rather than the normal scroll down option.

ah, cool, thanks man. yeah but 3g of anything is excessive, peeing it out or not. im right to feel safer with doses like say 600mg of that than things like A that store in the liver though, yeah?

also, i need to ammend the FAQ (for a number of reasons), but try this: click the upper-right corner of my first post, "options", nest to "rating". under display mode, switch to standard - should fix you right up.

ah, cool, thanks man. yeah but 3g of anything is excessive, peeing it out or not. im right to feel safer with doses like say 600mg of that than things like A that store in the liver though, yeah?

also, i need to ammend the FAQ (for a number of reasons), but try this: click the upper-right corner of my first post, "options", nest to "rating". under display mode, switch to standard - should fix you right up.

Sweet. That worked perfectly.

Vitamin A is bad for the kidneys too right?

Vitamin A toxicity is bad on all sorts of things, but yes, it can cause renal failure.

It is better to take precursors to vitamin A, but you can get your daily dose from just eating a carrot once a day, which will give you many health benefits. If you can get most of your vitamins from food instead of synthetic sources, you will be taking in thousands of beneficial phytochemicals (plant based chemicals) that are really good for you.

vagrant, ive been making a point to include veggies (largely mixed, either canned or frozen) with my meats/starches at dinner. how much more beneficial is this, in regards to your thing on phytochemicals, vs say taking a veggie supplement vitamin?

vagrant, ive been making a point to include veggies (largely mixed, either canned or frozen) with my meats/starches at dinner. how much more beneficial is this, in regards to your thing on phytochemicals, vs say taking a veggie supplement vitamin?

There really isn't much of a comparison. Whole veggies are far and away better. As an example, take the chemical lycopene which is in tomatoes and watermelon. Lycopene is great for your prostate, but when you eat the tomato (cooked, since the cell wall of the tomato needs to be broken to release the lycopene for the body to be able to process) you not only get the thousands of phytochemicals that work synergistically with the lycopene, but you also get fiber and various vitamins.

The tomato offers you vitamin C, A, K, molydenum, potassium, manganese, chromium, b1, b6, folate, copper, iron, and magnesium. In food form, vitamins and minerals are much more compatible for absorption by people (most of the time, there are some exceptions like spinach) than processed supplements.

From World's Healthiest Foods:

How Tomatoes Promote Optimal Health

Research by Dr. Joseph Levy and colleagues from Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel, may have identified the unique mechanism through which lycopene protects against cancer: activating cancer-preventive phase II enzymes.

When the researchers incubated breast and liver cancer cells with lycopene, the carotenoid triggered the production and activity of certain phase II detoxification enzymes that other carotenoids, including beta-carotene, astaxanthin, and phytoene, did not. Since much epidemiological evidence indicates that lycopene acts synergistically with other phytonutrients to give tomatoes their protective effects, and recent studies have shown that eating tomato products prevents cancer more effectively than taking lycopene alone, the researchers concluded that other carotenoids stimulate phase II enzymes via different pathways from that used by lycopene.

I could go on and on, but I think I made my point.

In college I tried to take multivitamin, but it'd always upset my stomach so I cut it out. I've taken Vitamin C daily since I started teaching and have managed to avoid getting sick in the last 5 years. Not sure how much my avoiding sickness has to do w/ the vitamin (I used to take Airborne as well during flu season, but stopped 2 years ago when they started offering refunds), but why rock the boat. I also started a few months ago taking B6 & B12 b/c they're supposed to help w/ energy and metabolism.

Yeah, vitamin A is fat soluble and can be toxic in large amounts, but is really important. Beta Carotene is not toxic and is converted by your body into Vitamin A as your body needs it. This is accounted for in most multi-vitamins though, and you'll see most multi have their vitamin A list as Beta Carotene.

As for the kidneys, everything you injest goes through the kidneys, so large amount of anything other than water and some marco nutrients will effect the kidneyes.

Archived