Hondo's Bar

Short film scores director a $30 million deal

Keth

Added info:

The movie will be sponsored by director Sam Raimi, whose credits include the Spiderman and Evil Dead films.

Fede Alvarez's short film "Ataque de Panico!" (Panic Attack!) featured giant robots invading and destroying Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay.

It is 4 mins 48 seconds long and has had more than 1.5 million views so far.

"I uploaded (Panic Attack!) on a Thursday and on Monday my inbox was totally full of e-mails from Hollywood studios," he told the BBC's Latin American service BBC Mundo.

"It was amazing, we were all shocked."

The movie Mr Alvarez has been asked to produce is a sci-fi film to be shot in Uruguay and Argentina. He says he intends to start from scratch and develop a new story for the project.

How the FUCK did he do that with $300? That...really? Is that true? Holy shit.

Batman: Dead End cost $30,000, and it has no mass destruction and 7 people in it. Granted, it's twice as long and has some cool costumes, but it's a HUNDRED TIMES more expensive.

Here, just in case someone has no clue what I'm talking about.

By the looks of Panic Attack!, Fede Alvarez could have made Independance Day with $30,000.

30 mil on a studio movie is, unfortunately, going to come out to much, much less than that. There's gonna be a lot of bureaucracy involved and many greedy fingers in that pie. But he's clearly a creative guy, I'm sure we'll get something at least worth watching.

How the FUCK did he do that with $300? That...really? Is that true? Holy shit.

It was an awesome short, but I'm not buying the $300 price tag. What was that, the cost of the software alone? Unless he did that at a university using their equipment, but then you still need to factor in tuition as a cost. Again, awesome bit of CGI but I call shenanigans on the cost.

• 2 years later...

Here's a link to a forum post of his (CG society is fucking awesome btw) talking about how he made this.

I'm from Montevideo (Uruguay... small country between Argentina and Brasil), and I wanted to share with everybody my last short movie.

It's about Giant Robots, coming to destroy my small city. I think maybe it's an attempt to make the city look bigger and more important.. buttrock.gif ..at least in the Giant Robot's schedule.

(Watch'it in HQ!)

It took U$s300 to shoot the live action, and then maybe a year to complete the 90 vfx shots (during very interrupted periods...)

I used Premiere, After, Photoshop, 3dMax, Boujou, Glu3d and FumeFx.

The modeling, mapping and rigging of the Robots, fighters and planes was made by Mauro Rondan. (mauro@aparato.tv)

Looking foward to hear your feedback!

Hope you'll like it!

Edited by axel_napalm