Hondo's Bar

Suggestions, please

Lycaon

How puritan is Texas? My auto response if you don't have it is Preacher, as my first exposure to it was through a public library and it's just that kind of book. Otherwise, a few trades(or even the one volume collection) of Bone wouldn't go astray either.

How puritan is Texas? My auto response if you don't have it is Preacher, as my first exposure to it was through a public library and it's just that kind of book. Otherwise, a few trades(or even the one volume collection) of Bone wouldn't go astray either.

This is Austin, so they've got a great graphic novel selection for a library. They're just looking to get more and are asking for suggestions.

I'll add Bone to the list I'm gonna make though, thanks.

My suggestion would be to strongly recommend they purchase HARD BACK editions whenever possible. The additional cost will be worth it for the increased longevity of the books. This is why, as awesome as it is, I cannot recommend the library purchase the complete BONE. Not everyone is as reverent w/ their comics as us geeks, JZA.

Ly, if I were you I'd recommend they get the "Absolute" or "Ultimate" oversized hardbound editions of books. They might have to make them non-take home books that you can only read in the library like an OED or something. But it'd be worth it to be able to have patrons get that experience. Plus it'd encourage more trips tot he library and possibly be more likely to encourage sales of actual TPBs if you couldn't take the books home and finish them.

My suggestion would be to strongly recommend they purchase HARD BACK editions whenever possible. The additional cost will be worth it for the increased longevity of the books. This is why, as awesome as it is, I cannot recommend the library purchase the complete BONE. Not everyone is as reverent w/ their comics as us geeks, JZA.

Ly, if I were you I'd recommend they get the "Absolute" or "Ultimate" oversized hardbound editions of books. They might have to make them non-take home books that you can only read in the library like an OED or something. But it'd be worth it to be able to have patrons get that experience. Plus it'd encourage more trips tot he library and possibly be more likely to encourage sales of actual TPBs if you couldn't take the books home and finish them.

Yeah, they've already realized that it's cheaper to just buy the Absolute Sandman volumes in the long run.

Hold on a tick, are you serious? Don't fuck wid me here, man--your library has Absolute Sandman?!?! can they be checked out? I may have to get a lie-berry card in Austin if that's the case. . . probably be a lot easier than breaking into Newt's place and stealing his...

Also, what stuff do they already have? That'd make it easier for us to come up w/ suggestions and point out where they've holes in their collection.

I haven't looked for it specifically at any of the libraries (mostly because I have the 1st three volumes myself), but I was talking with one of the librarians and he'd mentioned that they'd figured it was cheaper to get them than each individual volume.

As for what that particular branch has, they have most if not all of Preacher, several volumes of Green Arrow, Green Lantern, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, several volumes of Lucifer, several of Batman, Runaways, Watchmen, some Elfquest, a lot of manga (FMA, Fruits Basket, Bleach, etc), etc. I can't remember what all they have.

Couple of Older ones that I don't know if they've been put in a collected edition, but they were originally published in DC's Prestige format which meant thick spines and cardstock pages:

Gilgamesh by Howard Chaykin

Give me Liberty by Frank Miller (only the first series. Like most miller stuff it starts to parody itself after a while.)

I haven't looked for it specifically at any of the libraries (mostly because I have the 1st three volumes myself), but I was talking with one of the librarians and he'd mentioned that they'd figured it was cheaper to get them than each individual volume.

Damnit, Austin is so effin' cool. I'd so want to live there if it wasn't in TX.

As for what that particular branch has, they have most if not all of Preacher, several volumes of Green Arrow, Green Lantern, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, several volumes of Lucifer, several of Batman, Runaways, Watchmen, some Elfquest, a lot of manga (FMA, Fruits Basket, Bleach, etc), etc. I can't remember what all they have.

Could look it up online...

Anyway, some other stuff you can recommend:

Arkham Asylum

Astonishing X-Men Omnibus*

Batman - Dark Victory

Batman - Long Halloween

Battle Angel Alita v.1-9

Daredevil: Yellow

Dark Knight Returns

DK2

Global Frequency

HELLBLAZER

Hulk: Grey

Immortal Iron Fist

Iron Man - Extremis

Liberty Meadows

Losers

Nextwave: Agents of HATE

Promethea

SCUD: The Disposable Assassin

Seven Soldiers

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Sin City: Hard Goodbye

Sin City: That Yellow Bastard

Sin City: The Big Fat Kill

Spider-Man: Blue

Star Wars: Obsession

Transmetropolitan

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimate Fantastic 4

Ultimate Iron Man v.1-2

Ultimates v. 1-3

University² [Frank Cho]

V For Vendetta

Y: The Last Man

*Marvel has tons of omnibi out now. Not sure if they're cheaper than the TPBs though.

yeah, movie adaptations are popular - stuff like Maus, Watchment, Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come etc are pretty standard. there's some fun literary ones like Kafka's Metamorphosis that've had too adaptations as well, ill dig up more if you like.

Hold on a tick, are you serious? Don't fuck wid me here, man--your library has Absolute Sandman?!?! can they be checked out? I may have to get a lie-berry card in Austin if that's the case. . . probably be a lot easier than breaking into Newt's place and stealing his...

Damnit, Austin is so effin' cool. I'd so want to live there if it wasn't in TX.

Update: I saw the volume 3 of Absolute Sandman on the shelf of one of the Austin branches last night, so yes. They have it. Austin is indeed awesome.

By the way, I didn't mention it before, but stealing from the library well send you to that special level of hell Book was talking about in Firefly. I know were probably kiddding, but just sayin'.

Archived