Hondo's Bar

Gundam Unicorn

Newtype

Plot Summary: The year is U.C. 0096. Three years have passed since the end of the Second Neo Zeon War. It is said that the Vist Foundation manipulates the Earth Federation and Anaheim Electronics from behind the scenes. Hoping to create a new world, the Foundation attempts to hand over a certain secret to the Neo Zeon remnants known as the Sleeves. This will mean the opening of Laplace's Box, which holds a great secret tied to the origins of the Universal Century. The exchange between the Vist Foundation and the Sleeves is to take place at the manufacturing colony Industrial 7. This is the home of the student Banagher Links, who rescues a girl he sees falling through the colony's zero gravity area. The girl gives her name as Audrey Burne and says she wants to prevent a war, spurring Banagher to step into the conflict surrounding Laplace's Box—almost as if he is drawn in by his own bloodline.

Bandai Visual Japan will distribute the first Japanese/English Blu-ray volume of Gundam UC from the Amazon website exclusively for two months starting on March 12. The anime adapts Harutoshi Fukui's 10 novel volumes of the same name, which are set in the same Universal Century (UC) timeline as Yoshiyuki Tomino and Sunrise's first Gundam series, Zeta Gundam, and the other sequels. Bandai Visual's first Blu-ray Disc volume for the series will have a simultaneous international release with Japanese and English dubbing, as well as Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Chinese subtitles. The first of six DVD volumes will ship on the same day with Japanese dubbing as well as Japanese and English subtitles.

• 4 weeks later...

Unicorn is utterly, utterly fantastic and having to wait till the fall for episode 2 is going to drive me crazy.

I liked how they addressed the whole Newtype thing, and how the word "newtype" lost all meaning as an evolutionary step and had just become synonymous with being a good pilot because those were the only Newtypes that people ever saw. It's a nice foreshadowing of how Newtypes were just considered legends during the F91/Victory era.

I'm glad that they touched up on this.

Glad to hear its a good series. I'm going to have to pick it up then.

I can't wait to get my hands on the blu-ray.

Sweet! Been wanting to check this out, have been playing catch up with other UC stories. (Victory, Crossbone among others)

I'm just glad that we're back in the UC time line.

The last few Gundam shows have been rather weak.

• 10 months later...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoMLF8kwF4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoMLF8kwF4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoMLF8kwF4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Am I the only one watching this?

• 5 months later...

Pros:

The animation

The music

The characters

Using Yoshikazu Yasuhiko style for the animation

Going back to the UC timeline

The body count

Cons:

The price for a single episode on blu-ray. ($35-$47)

Having to wait 5-7 month for each episode.

Edited by Newtype

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Just finished this tonight, and it's alot of fun. I'm gonna be quite honest though, I hardly had any idea what exactly was going on, especially in the final episode. While I dug the characters, and got alot out of their personalities, I couldn't wrap my head around their motivations. You don't necessarily need to see any other Gundam entries to enjoy this show, but it certainly helps when it comes to understanding the story. Or maybe I'm just slow. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All that said, Miss Marida was by far my favorite character. I have my eye on her big green mech next for my Gunpla collection.