Hondo's Bar

Female Rappers

Panch

Female rappers.  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DaBrat.jpg

foxy_brown5.jpg

RahDigga.jpg

eve_red.gif

lauryn_hill_6.jpg

lil_kim_2.jpg

trina-blue.jpg

jpg_nicki_minaj_swimsuit_pictures102408091714.jpg

Since I started listening to Rap I've noticed that every camp needs to have that token chick rapper. Now back in the days they were decent. Missy, Eve, Foxy Brown. But lately I feel like the quality has gone down. But let me ask this: are they even necessary? I mean, most of them have dudes ghost write for them anyway...

some of em, yeah. kinda sucks but i dont entirely think its their fault.

in the day, i dug what i heard from MC Lyte and some of Latifah, Lyte especially cause she just rapped about whatever, like a dude. closest i had to that years back was Missy's early shit...i dont blame her for making $ off culbbangers, i just think she can do a lot more than that. that said, i havent listened to an entire album of hers in years, so she might be like Jay-Z and just save the better shit for the LP.

what sucks is the way over-sexualization kinda took over. you'd have a chick whose style i dug, like Da Brat, and then when this took off, even she'd try to play the part and it'd be an awful fit (im told Eve had to do stuff like this sometimes too, she's another good female MC). the obvious name attached to this is Lil Kim, who despite Junker's famous review of her first album ("I think i got a VD just listening to it."), she's pretty good, i dug her last album. but going on about being a sex icon & shit is like the only gimmick in a female MC's set these days, its how you get shit like Nicki Minaj up there - she's hot, yeah, but her rhymes are seaseme street shit, she even says so.

so you can ho it up with that silly shit like Trina & the like, or you can pass on it and just try to get by on skills. know what happens if you do that? go wiki Jean Grae, Jill Scott, or see what Lauryn Hill's up to these days. exactly.

Judging by those pics I'd say they're pretty shit. Listening to G-stuff by guys is pathetic and enjoyable enough, women trying to do it is just pathetic.

If they did indie stuff they might be ok but women aren't exactly tolerable when it comes to rapping

Guys, you might as well go to the conversation of new school vs old school... its the same thing. the only difference here is there are like 4 famous (and active) female rappers right now.

You simple can't compare sistah soldia and queen latifah to>> foxy brown and lil kim to>> Nicki Minaj....

It's really rare for a rapper to shine in the under ground like these chix did, but the later in era you get the more female rappers are stressed to "sell sex" or not given the chance to put out their own visions all together.

(Hence rappers like Amil get dropped completely.)

Missy Elliot is a producer backed by Timbaland.. she'll always be successful. But an absolute poet like lauren hill stood out because of her fortune of Praz and Wycleff not even comparing to her in the fugees (which is one of the best hip hop albums of all tinezzz)..

But you gotta check out femaleartists like Bahamadia, Sha-Rock, Medusa, Ladybug Mecca, those are true lyricists.

You simple can't compare sistah soldia and queen latifah to>> foxy brown and lil kim to>> Nicki Minaj....

You're right. There ain't no comparison. Bitches like Lil Kim and Nicki Minaj don't write their own shit. Nicki Minaj is Lil Wayne with tits! 'She' even copies Drake like Lil Wayne, too. It's pathetic and an insult to fans. Think I'm that stupid that I can't figure it out. I've been listening to hip-hop for too long!

female rappers are stressed to "sell sex"

Hell yeah and it's cause people are dumb. Those albums are targeted for perverts and hoes. Why do you think when you step into any strip club they're playing Khia 'My neck, my back' or Trina 'Baddest bitch'? It's crap!

But an absolute poet like lauren hill stood out because of her fortune of Praz and Wycleff not even comparing to her in the fugees (which is one of the best hip hop albums of all tinezzz)..

Lauryn Hill STOPPED writing lyrics after that album! She's no poet! She's a fucking hack.

ac6cg5.gif

after she wrote Miseducation, she did an amazing set for MTV unplugged and left the business.

you're here complaining about female rappers cashing in on gimmicks & making money just like dudes do, but you're clowning on one that can sing, rap & run circles around much of this thread? fuck outta here.

Like I said... she stopped writing after the Fugees album. She. Did. Not. Write. Miseducation. Yeah, she can sing, but she didn't write that shit. All those words were written by a man. Common or Mos or one of them at the time ghost wrote that shit. People blew up her spot and she stopped public appearances. Dude, where do you think she's been?Nas might of even wrote that shit!

everything ive read on that album says she + plus some dudes from New Ark (none of which you're naming here) wrote it, and even the extent of that's spotty cause there's no contracts, so its kinda up in the air. randomly naming rappers and saying she wrote nothing of it is nonsense. she then did a live poetry album, which is likely what iceman's on about. i'm saying: hater-panch in full effect.

what i dont get is this: chick exits the industry for reasons of her own, goes off & starts a family or whatever. you're here going on about how the industry is dead in one thread, and in this one, how its even worse for women (at least, me & iceman were saying that) cause you have to be hyper-sexual to get noticed/sales. so if a women who wrote poetry & didnt dig wearing makeup/sexy photo shoots decided to do something else, she's a hack now? damn man, no wonder we get stuff like minaj now.

everything ive read on that album says she + plus some dudes from New Ark (none of which you're naming here) wrote it, and even the extent of that's spotty cause there's no contracts, so its kinda up in the air.

Of course there's no contacts. She won Grammys with that shit! At that point, revealing she had a ghost writer would be damming. She felt guilty for her false credit.

she then did a live poetry album, which is likely what iceman's on about.

She's a performer! Just cause she did something LIVE and was POETRY doesn't mean she wrote it. That was her gimmick!

Whatever. You're right about everything and I'm wrong. I lived thru that time and was VERY involved with music at the time. More then I've ever been. Just cause I don't remember exact details don't mean shit. I don't need Wikipedia to 'tell me what happened'. After all the shit that went down, she just left a bad taste in my mouth.

i gotcha. no evidence is needed when there's unsupported conspiracy theories & hating to be done! i can feel that...no one believes me when i say Biggie wrote All Eyez on Me, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened, and Pac ethere'd himself cause he felt bad that big didnt get his due on that.

if you dont see the irony on irrational hating on one of the examples of a talented female MC here, ima leave this thread to its misogyny. someone hit me up if iceman brings up Yo-Yo, cause i only heard a few tracks but she was alright.

:misty: boss caught me looking at black ladies with hardly any clothes on took me into the office said it wasn't appropriate might have a disciplinary.

We can use the internet for casual use in breaks that is totally ok. I followed this up before he did -- emailed him said it was a thread about female rappers. He replied back said that's just as bad if not worse

• 6 months later...

meant to post some Jean Grae, but i found this instead:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGUesyG7bU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGUesyG7bU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGUesyG7bU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFQjdU0b2U?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFQjdU0b2U?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFQjdU0b2U?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9flGbb_wqs0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9flGbb_wqs0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9flGbb_wqs0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

also, Lady of Rage's verse on the Doggystyle intro was cool in the day. i'll still bump Brat's "Funkdafied" album, some Rah Digga too, like:

Archived