Hondo's Bar

make your own DD model!

gunsmithx

Ok, George and I were talking yesterday about the best way to introduce a good DD model. I want to see what you guys think, what should be different, and anything else.

Ok some ground rules, if you come here to just to say DD sucks and I hate it, seriously don't, thats not the point, This will also not be a piracy is good/bad thread, so yes some kind of drm is expected on some level(from only one install to steams only install game through the account meathod, to ubisoft way) I'm also working on some kind of cosole model(ps4,xbox720, 3ds, etc etc)

basicly I think the best thing is something that combines psn and live, you buy the game and can install it under your username, now instead of sony's 5 install's we were thinking something closer to real life, basicly you can 'lend' your game out but it keeps you from playing it while checked out(hey just like real life!), you can have your account locked(ie for cheating) but while it would prevent say ... online play or something you would still be able to play the games you have(you need something to deal with hackers and cheaters while maybe not being too extreme, and for the record if steam locks out your account your competely fucked) as for used games... no idea how to do that one, the best model would be one that simpley lowers the price of the games as time goes on or maybe some kind of way to sell the lisence online(say for points to put toward another game)

What other concerns would you have?

• 4 weeks later...

The steam model is better than anything I had previously thought of. Battle.net will soon join that bandwagon and be steam's only competition. (There's xbox live, but they kind of hit different markets... for now ) Maybe by then, we'll see them produce even more magic under additional competition.

what does battle.net sell? was that the venue i used for that $10 battle-chest Diablo 2 i bought? cause that was awesome; put in the key once, straight download, no verifications ever again or cap on my access of that DL far as i could see.

and yeah, Steam's got a lot towards my problems with ownership in other models: they patch, mod etc (though you cant use outside mods, can you?), only elements lacking are the ability to return things/recoup on losses by selling used or letting a friend borrow it, and i dont even know where to start with a functional model working with those elements...but seriously, that'd do it for me, that'd cover the gap between physical & digital.

and yeah, Steam's got a lot towards my problems with ownership in other models: they patch, mod etc (though you cant use outside mods, can you?), only elements lacking are the ability to return things/recoup on losses by selling used or letting a friend borrow it, and i dont even know where to start with a functional model working with those elements...but seriously, that'd do it for me, that'd cover the gap between physical & digital.

I was able to get a few Oblivion mods to work, but it takes a little homework.

only elements lacking are the ability to return things/recoup on losses by selling used or letting a friend borrow it, and i dont even know where to start with a functional model working with those elements...but seriously, that'd do it for me, that'd cover the gap between physical & digital.

You can switch Steam to offline mode, I've "borrowed" games from Mort before. After a week (I think) it asks you to sign back in.

both those things are great news.

1) the outside mod support - did you have to use exploits, or it just took a bit more work? the notion that non-steam supported mods can be patched in (of course i mean mostly single-player games; i get why they'd want to lock down multiplayer ones moreso to stop cheating/hacks) is awesome, almost makes me wish idve bought L4D2 again.

2) how did "offline" mode work? did you & mort trade login/passwords or what were the specifics?

both those things are great news.

1) the outside mod support - did you have to use exploits, or it just took a bit more work? the notion that non-steam supported mods can be patched in (of course i mean mostly single-player games; i get why they'd want to lock down multiplayer ones moreso to stop cheating/hacks) is awesome, almost makes me wish idve bought L4D2 again.

The main problem I had was finding Oblivion on my computer, none of the existing mod installation FAQ's were of any help. I tried to install about a dozen and managed to get 1 working with stability (boar mount) and 1 technically functioning, but glitchy. I'm sure as the mod community becomes more aware of Steam these things will get worked out.

I don't think you can really fuck with multiplayer without raping the ToS.

2) how did "offline" mode work? did you & mort trade login/passwords or what were the specifics?

Mort logged into Steam on my PC, he downloaded some games that he owned to the desktop, he set it to offline mode and he logged out. Around a week later I tried to play one and it prompted me to sign in, before that I had zero problems. I assume he could have just signed in real quick and restarted the process.

Archived