Hondo's Bar

i ♥ r&b

Panch

• 10 months later...

51op%2BXuHJ-L.jpg

TP2.(FUCKING)COM!

Listening to Pandora and damn, this brings back memories... to when I was in the military and had no regard, whatsoever, for the opposite sex. All the songs were so comically sexual/ghetto/ridiculous that you would think they were written by Dave Chapelle himself. Still, this CD was so packed with, what I used to call, "baby makers" that you didn't have to skip a single track. And I um... "played" this album so much that I memorized the entire damn thing.

Man, I was a different person then. Completely different! Nice to be reminded of more... vigorous times, though. Here's some tracks (prepare to laugh):

http://youtu.be/zr9Xn58dEW4

http://youtu.be/aW7uBj0B_NI

Basically a song about rape:

And, of course, the song immortilized by Mr. Chapelle:

So did you imagine me having sex to these songs?

hearing good things about this new John Legend album...i'll check it out, but Get Lifted still sounded like Ordinary People with a few other tracks, despite ye's contributions

still, i'm eager to hear something since this year's been uh, Thicke & Timberlake for me so far, and even that's more poppy

• 4 weeks later...

new Weekend, Foreign Exchange & Janelle Monae were all good, it's actually been a good year for R&B. Jhene Aiko has been getting some attention since "From Time" off Drake's newest album too, so i found her album on YT, and it's pretty good...wasn't expecting a Ye track:

The thing about Rihanna is that she ACTUALLY has talent. CAN hold a note and DOES co-create decent comcepts for songs that are catchy enough to force folks to drop money by the millions. Also, she doesn't care what people think about her and that's an admirable trait, right? She's the more "street" version of Beyoncé. What I don't like about her is her outside the music actions. The Chris Brown stuff and whatnot.

not really, and again no offense but if you think Rihanna can hold a note, i'm not sure how well you gauge singing. i'm not watching live shows or videos much so i can't comment on dancing, but the girl is britney/ashanti levels of bad as far as voice goes - there's some falsetto, but no range and again, no ability to hold a note.

which is fine for some lanes, i'm not expecting mariah levels here - but when you try to belt out ballads, high energy tracks, occasional duets etc that consistently fall apart if your autotune slips like your carribean accent (or is absent entirely), you get exposed. case in point:

First of all, this video is bullshit. It's some 13 year old's thesis of hate. But excuse me, she's a fan. Second, ok... Rihanna can't sing... LIVE. I musta missed that during the 14 concerts I went to. Mary J. Blige sucks live and she's widely considered the queen of R&B. But that ain't the issue here.

The issue is this chick, Jhene Aiko, sounds like Rihanna to me. Sound AND style. We aren't going on a live performance either. I'm talking about the 2 or 3 RECORDED songs that you posted in above post.

queen in like '04, it's been a minute is the point. not really sure why i bring new stuff in if its not gonna be "REAL" or sounds a little like something you're familiar with. and if i say "singing" what else do i mean, if not live? most all of R&B and pop use autotune now, to varying degrees. also, what i posted was a full album, but ill agree to disagree.

anyway, TDE joints have featured Jhene for a minute, but ive liked what i heard from SZA as well, ill post some of her stuff another time. here's the drake track i think she might blow up a bit more from.

Haku - you heard the new Janelle Monae? i gotta give it another spin later, its nice but i think i liked the features on ArchAndroid better so far

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i dig some weeknd but they're killing that one onna radio right now, haha....dude's on the rapey side lyrically but ive enjoyed some of his stuff

Frank Ocean tho - dude needs to straighten out whatever's holding that shit up, i really dug parts of Channel Orange

4qZZVwi.png

word? i haven't heard it yet, but i'm in the mood for new r&b, ill grab it tonight.

hit up that frnak track when you can - i don't think it's your vibe necessarily but it's a solid (however short) andre verse at the end there

plus you love DBZ references

• 2 months later...

" rel="external nofollow">https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/236660044&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true">

okay, current weeknd doesn't really do it for me that often, but it does when ghost owns it

• 7 months later...