Hondo's Bar

Lotr; Sequels Will They Win Ocars?

The Academy don't like sequels, and the Academy don't like fantasy. Shame really, as the first LotR was one of the best films I've ever seen, and since they were all filmed together, I have high hopes for the second. Let's just hope the first wasn't fluke. I doubt it though, Peter Jackson is a great filmmaker and a commited Tolkein fan. You might expect it to get best visuals, best costumes etc, but since Fellowship racked up a few of those this year they might be reluctant to give em out again to the sequel. Looking forward to finding out!

The acedemy might like sequels, but they understand that not just was this films together, but it's really one movie. They might not like fantasy, but they understand that as far as fantasy goes, this is as good as it gets. the word is that everyone expected the same quality of book-to-film translations for the next two films as was seen in the first, and if the acedemy votes any of them for best film, it will be ROTK.

They don't like fantasy, but they sure do like epics, and LOTR is about as epic as you get. The next two books are nothing but war and battle and epic this and epic that, so who knows? I think they'll certainly have the chance, but the Acadamy would rather pick something else. They might keep winning the effects and visual stuff, but the matrix will give em a bit of competition there. The academy really goes for true story and history based stuff, they want their movies to be edutainment! Like those mathblaster computer games sort of... The only reason gladiator won IMO... anyway, I think they have a shot because they're epics and the books are respected, but I wouldn't bet on it.