Hondo's Bar

Racing Wheels, fun, awesome and expensive!

gunsmithx

Ok with the coming of GT5(I hope) and a new home it's time to finally get a racing wheel.

My options come down to either a logitech DFGT or a G27, the DFGT is cheapish and ok the g27 is more expensive but a much better wheel.

I really want to pick up one of the Fanatec

My ult setup would be the GT3 RS V2 but I'll proabbly just get the Carrera.

Also does anyone use wheel stands or cockpits? I was thinking of getting the rennsport wheel stand but I"m unsure.

Dr Steve knocked up a wheel & pedal stand with odd bits of lumber & a racing seat out of his old car in about 20 minutes. Even when not playing, it's a damned comfy chair to pass out in... Not sure of the wheel he has though, but given how crazy he is about his racing games I assume it's top-end(for AU).

Yeah if Tim has an answer I'd like to hear it... so torn, the best set up I can put together is about 500 bucks but I'm not sure I want to pay that much, still looking like around 300 for a good setup though. I could get cheaper but I really want a wheelstand instead of just using a cheap ass table.

• 2 weeks later...

hey gun....... racing wheels are a nice toy for the real thing. i have the one for the ps2 that's blue and i forgot the name, but it's from logitech and has force feedback and turning resistance. basically i've used it less than 5 times because unless you have a special chair/setup for it, you will be in the wrong position using it. with your everyday furniture it's hard to get the right height to attach it to and the pedals keep moving. AND, tearing it down and setting it up is a pain in the ass especially when the controller will always beat the times vs a wheel

so if you got the space for a specially made chair/wheel combo, go for it (im thinking something that you can actually lean back F1 style). when i bought mine back when it was like 100, i was happy, but now i feel like it's just something of a novelty i'm too lazy to set up.

Archived