Hondo's Bar

Star Wars in 3D

Star Wars in 3D Gets an Official Release Date

Share pagetools_share.png Email pagetools_email.png pagetools_sep.pngArchives March 3, 2011 Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the 3D theatrical launch of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace now has an official release date -- February 10, 2012! Set against the thrilling and exotic backdrop of a "galaxy far, far away," Star Wars is perfectly suited to the immersive 3D theatrical experience, and Episode I delivers some of the Saga's most stunning and spectacular sequences -- from the Naboo invasion to the Tatooine Podraces to the climactic lightsaber battle between Darth Maul and the Jedi. Supervised by Industrial Light & Magic, the meticulous conversion is being done with utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions. See the original 3D announcement story here.

Well, as much as haterade has been poured all over the prequels, there's no denying I'll shell out the $$$ to see them in 3D. I'm marginally interested to see the prequels in 3D; however, I'm very excited to see how the original trilogy comes out in 3D.

Are Jabba the Hut or Emperor Palpatine people we really want to see in 3D?

Technically Jabba isn't a person. And if seeing him in 3D is the price I pay for seeing Slave Leis in 3D, then I think that's a fair trade.

As for Palpatine, the fight w/ Yoda in ROTS & the throne room scene in ROTJ should both be spectacular in 3D.

Technically Jabba isn't a person. And if seeing him in 3D is the price I pay for seeing Slave Leis in 3D, then I think that's a fair trade.

As for Palpatine, the fight w/ Yoda in ROTS & the throne room scene in ROTJ should both be spectacular in 3D.

I was talking ancient (Return of the Jedi) Palpatine. As for Jabba, I'm hoping that person comment wasn't because of his species. Racist.

Of course it was b/c of his species. Calling Jabba a "person" is like calling a monkey (or Nick) a person. Person refers specifically to a human being. Neither Jabba nor a monkey (nor NZA) is a human being therefore they're not a person. Just facts. No interstellar racism going on here, mister,

Maybe this'll get NZA to finally post. That is unless he retconned himself and gave up Hondo's for Lent or something...

I gotta disagree with you here Haku, I think the term "person" only applies to human beings because we're the only creatures that we currently know of that it would apply to. I don't think there's anything about it that specifically and strictly refers to our particular species.

In the event that we encountered a non-human race that demonstrated those traits that define personhood, self awareness, the comprehension of past and future, an understanding of rights and duties, a consciousness or rationality, all that shit that makes us us, just not of the same evolutionary background, I think that sentient creature could still fittingly be called a person.

And when in a group of it's species, it would be with it's people.

I think if we made a true A.I. that fit all of those categories, it would be a person too.

But no, Jax, he's not a human being. :2T:

Logan, you make a decent philosophical argument. But the fact does remain we have not yet encountered/created such life forms and a human being is a person. Once those life form are discovered/created I'm sure he semantics of the word and it's usage will be greatly debated and disputed.

I obviously lean more to the original Bones McCoy side of this philosophical debate. (Now that were getting into this realm, Star Trek has much better examples.) He never considered Spock a "person." He was a Vulcan; or, more precisely, a half human/half Vulcan. The doc knew Spock had human qualities, tendencies, and characteristics but that didn't make him a true person.

Same goes for Data in TNG and A.I. in general--they can be facsimiles or "nearly perfect" approximations of human beings, but they're still not human beings, and therefore not people.

Saying 'near perfect' approximation of a human is an oxymoron since we're all cunts. I can be quoted as saying that dogs are better people than people.

EDIT- ... But oh good fucking god we've gotten OT. Back to the matter at hand, I'd maybe for for Empire 3D and that's it. George Lucas* has already gotten more money out of me than he deserves.

*alongside anyone else who's lifelong pursuit has been perpetuating the concept that Star Wars is more seminal than say, 2 waves of rerelease & merchandising.

Archived