Hondo's Bar

Punch-drunk Love

Greating great reviews. I think this will be to Adam Sandler what The Truman Show was to Jim Carrey. I've read that he plays it so well this character couldn't have been played by anybody else. Also has Emily Watson, who stolen Red Dragon for me, a film chock full of great performances. Anyway, went to the website and this is the disclaimer on it:

good evening,

this site will change from time to time with things that you can take, have, possess, discard or simply pass by. everything here is free and can be used in anyway you see fit.

Sounds like a bit of the movies spirit to be, much like the Warning at the beginning of Fight Club.

It getting wide release this friday. I'll be seeing it. Anyone else excited about this movie? I know Junker is.

Yes, I've been waiting on this movie for so fucking long it's not even funny. PT Anderson is one of the best new directors out there, just love his style and writing. And from what I've heard Sandler does give an amazing performance. I see no scenario in which this could be a bad movie, I'll be in talahassee this weekend, but I'll see it the absolute first chance I get. It better be playing in theaters down here real soon, I know it gets wider release friday, but I still see no web sites or papers saying it's playin in miami yet.

He won't get the oscar nom. Doesn't matter if he gives the greatest perforance in history. Doesn't matter if he makes Lawrence Olivia look like, well, like Adam Sandler by comparison. Oscar nominations are about giving it them to oscar-type actors and oscar type-movies. That's why Jim Carrey didn't get a best actor nomination, that's why Pulp Fiction lost to Forrest Gump, that's why The Thin Red Line got nominated for best picture. Trust me, his perforance may be spec-fucking-tacular, but he ain't getting no oscar nomination.

Finally got to see this today, and I loved it. PT Anderson is easily one of my favorite new writer/directors. His style just kicks ass and his scripts are great. And Adam Sandler actually does a fuckin great job. The movie is essentially a realistic analysis of the character he usually plays. A nice guy who essentially has some sort of social anxiety disorder or something. Usually calm and soft spoken, but prone to violent outbursts of pure rage when things get overwhelming. The movie pretty much explores the character, and his self-loathing, and follows him as he really tries to get by. Of course, he gets by my meeting a great girl, played by Emily Watson. She's great in it too. Of course, there are other complications along the way, but I dont want to spoil much.

The whole movie has a quirky, weird touch to it. Barry (Sandler's character) wears a suit for the whole movie, his character sells decorative plungers, he buys pudding for frequent flyer miles... it's all perfectly realistic, but very out of the ordinary. The look is awesome, it's shot very wide, so that the picture touches both walls of the movie theater, and the colors and lighting and camera work just rock. The music also stuck with me, Anderson is really good a picking perfect music for any given scene.

The performances were great too. Sandler's performance is perfect, you sympathize with his character immediately, his nervousness, rage, and happiness all come through; he has found the absolute perfect role. And the way it's directed makes the movie depend heavily on his performance, the camera lingers on his face for most of the movie, and his body language tells a good portion of the story. Emily watson does great, Ive always liked her, and thought she was the best performance in Red Dragon, as do the supporting cast, with the screen time they're given anyways.

Anyways, I really really liked it, I wouldn't say that Adam Sandler's gone the way of Buster Keaton and Jim Carrey in that he can do all kinds of serious stuff now, because this role was written as a very specific analysis of the characters he plays normally, but this is a very very good performance, so he does to have a lot more talent than peopel give him credit for.

Finally saw this one yesterday. Great stuff. Really good profile of a neurotic compulsive kind of disfunctionally charactr. Even when you thought something should have been funny, it wasn't (breaking out crying, etc). It also is a good protrayl of how having seven sisters can fuck you up. Was kinda moved in weird ways by this movie. Highly recommended.

Personally, i've always hated Jim Carrey. So, I might be biased, but I think that even when he played "serious" rolls, all he did was mug for the camera using his same annoying facial expressions that led thousands of sheep into the box offices for Dumb and Dumber. the only time he came close to doing anything remotely interesting was in Man on the Moon. Lucky for him, Andy Kaufman made exaggerated facial expressions as well...only he was funny.

Anyway, the point is, I've always liked Adam Sandler. I think he's creative and amusing. I hope this role exposes that he is capable of other roles. When I see it, I'll let you know what I think. Sounds hopeful so far...

Yes honestly. I did see The Truman Show. And I thought he was Jim Carrey in it. Same stupid facial expressions that make me want to kick him up the arse. he toned them down a little, and didn't actually have a hand in writing the script. Yeah, the premise of that movie was cool, but it could have been better if it weren't Jim Carrey. I have a strong aversion to him. He's like brussel sprouts for my cinematic soul. But before you deem me lame, or tasteless, remember that I got your Clockwork Orange reference. Happy Birthday Ian 655321?

I just find it difficult to understand how anyone can think his performance was anything less than sub-Oscar caliber. Actually, I can imagine SOMEBODY thinking that: The academy. Back to Adam Sandler: Great Performance. Wonder if he'll rest on his laurels and go back to stupid movies or if he'll do more good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...