Hondo's Bar

Keth

In the remote mountains of Colorado, horrors wait inside Mount Massive Asylum. A long-abandoned home for the mentally ill, recently re-opened by the "research and charity" branch of the transnational Murkoff Corporation, has been operating in strict secrecy... until now.

Acting on a tip from an inside source, independent journalist Miles Upshur breaks into the facility, and what he discovers walks a terrifying line being science and religion, nature and something else entirely. Once inside, his only hope of escape lies with the terrible truth at the heart of Mount Massive.

Outlast is a gorgeous, Amnesia-inspired first-person horror experience that takes the genre back to its roots. You play as the world’s bravest/stupidest writer, who decides that maintaining his journalistic integrity entails sneaking in to an abandoned insane asylum and checking out what’s what. There are no weapons to be found in Outlast, so you’re forced to endure the darkness armed only with a night vision camera and the ability to run. And just in case you were wondering, said camera drains batteries like an electronic device with a vendetta, and you're going to have plenty of reasons to run.

This looks fucking terrifying and awesome. I really hope this gets a console release cause it looks like my comp isn't gonna be able to run any of that.

You know, I get the whole "there are no weapons" thing because it makes things feel more tense and stuff but it always irks me that the character can't just pick up a bit of wood or something. I mean, I don't think a dusty two-by-four should offer much protection but even the girl in Clocktower could push the scissor guy in shortpants down if he cornered her.

^Yeah I really need to give Amnesia a solid go also. I think I played the first 15 minutes of it and always stop.

Anyway this is still early so lots could change. I'm sure there will be a shove button or something. Still looks like it could be a fun ride.

I still wish I'd been hipped to Eternal Darkness back in the day, because the stories I've heard about it...

But yeah, what Amnesia did perfectly was menace you with what you couldn't see, and it worked a treat. That game has made me scream like a bitch in the middle of the day with the curtains open. It really tests the upper limit of my 'seasoned horror connisuer' thing I have going.

Obviously this will still be scarier than something like Dead Space 1 and hopefully works out well.

• 2 years later...