Hondo's Bar

Gangs Of New York

Martin Scorsese directing his first epic? (I dont count last temptation of christ and kundun... no fighting!) Hell yes! Gangs of New York is a very dramatic representation of New York in the mid 1800's, when there was huge conflicts between the native new yorkers and the immigrant irish, and the US was having it's first military draft for the civil war. How epic can that get you ask? Pretty fuckin epic!

This movie is downright operatic, the themes and dialogue are shakesperean, it drips with style and it's violent as all hell. I loved it. Daniel Day Lewis plays one of the best villians put to screen for a long time. He's mean as hell, but despite his curly moustache he's not just a one dimensional evil character. He's well drawn, and there's a sense of honor there that gives him much more depth than we usually get out of villians. Plus, he's just fucking cool! A freaky glass eye, insane skills with all kinds of knives... lots of the characters in this movie are very comic-bookish. There's no subtle, nuanced performances in this one, all of the dialogue is very intense and theatric, filled with "thee's" "thou's" and more religious referances than you can shake a stick at.

And Scorsese's recreation of the five points is one of the best, biggest sets I've ever seen. ALL of it is real, no computer generated backgrounds, sets, or extras, and it helps the movie immensely. This movie is worth seeing just for the spectacle of it all. It's very refreshing to see someone make an epic the old fashioned way these days.

So, if you like a bit of opera, excess and theatrics, SEE THIS MOVIE. I guess sometimes it bites of more than it can chew, trying to cram all of that history in as quickly as it can so as not to disturb the story much, but I thought it just added to the chaos of it all. Fuckin great movie, see it at the biggest multiplex with the biggest screen!

• 4 weeks later...

Fuckin hell, no one else had anythin to say past Junker on this one..?

Scorsese's epic delivered, i thought. Like him or not, Dicaprio handles the role he's given rather well, a daunting task considering this is not only Scorsese but also a - how did one character in the movie put it? - shakesperean tale.

Junker's right about some of the comic stuff, interesting to see this one not too long after Road to Perdition, though i know its been in the works for years upon years now.

Action scenes, though large in scale, were not up to, say, Braveheart quality but as the movie progresses i thought they were handled better. There's also a great number of starts i wasnt aware were in it - i dont have cable - and though i wont spoil, i almost died with Liam Neeson showed up because, fuck, what's an irish movie without him? I really think he's underrated.

There are minor points when it feels hollywood-ish but far less than i expected, in the sets, costume etc. Scorsese did his homework as usual, everything down to irish bareknuckle brawling, firefighter brawling, the Tammany Hall political machine, chinese relations, catholics vs proddies...it's all here, and not gratouitosly (sic).

This is an interesting piece of American history Scorsese honed in on that not very much has been done with. If the rumors of Leo turning down a role in Star Wars to take this role are true, i can see why he made the deciision (fuck man, its Scorses and a gangster flick, albeit not italian).

PS Junker you'd be proud, took a trip out to Arlington and saw it in the biggest goddamn theatre ive seen this way.

Next is LOTR, what do you recommend after that Danny boy?

Glad ya liked it, I hope that some other DD members saw it and just dont have much to say, the ever so silent dinghy liked it, there's prolly a few more out there.

Um, after LOTR, first and foremost I suggest Frida, run don't walk, fast as you can, cause it's almost out of theaters. Fuckin amazing movie. Them I'd say catch me if you can and adaptation are pretty essential. I'd say see adaptation first cause it'll be out of theaters quicker. Very cool stuff out now, just hard to catch it all before it leaves theaters

YOUR A DAMN BASTARD IC! you said I could join you and Lyndsey but ya'll went on a school night and hour before my bedtime.

Then agian the plan was named by Lyndsey and she did tell you the time and you had to go cuz she was paying. So I guess this wasn't your fault.

Plan Name: Screw Ian

You know what's even worse than Plan: Screw Ian? The fact that, throughout the whole movie, after all the good parts, your sister just kept saying "That was cool! And you know what made it so much cooler? The fact that Ian's not here."

At one point she mentioned somethin bout the popcorn tasting better when youre not around. 'S fucked up, man.

Good movie you missed by the way but at least you got that chick flick comin up, right?

Ha! Have fun at that one... first movie to be released in the year 2003, and people are already saying that nothing's gonna knock it down for worst movie of the year. A perfect example of "January Junk." In january, after all of the holiday blockbusters and oscar contenders come out, studios feel it necesarry to dump their shit movies into theaters to make a quick buck, look out for more of these, usually really bad comedies.

Rotten tomato meter, 21% fresh

"It's difficult to imagine a more thoroughly unpleasant experience than sitting through "Just Married," an abrasive, unsavory assault on the senses starring Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutcher."

-Washington Post

"'Just Married' needs and annulment"

-USA Today

"Just Married" is of interest only as a product of such generic blandness as to be absolutely airtight: not a whiff of originality or real life has been allowed to spoil its plastic perfection. "

-LA Times

"Lke Tom and Sarah's doomed honeymoon, Just Married is a hopeless failure from its first few frames. "

-Filmcritic.com

"Just Maried is the kind of formula sitcom slop that is cynically assembled to grab a big weekend gross untill word gets out."

-Ebert & Roeper

Ain't no FUCKIN' Romantic comedy!

Ain't crap!

I was a funny as hell movie! If it wasn't rated PG13 there might have been boobs in it. :(

But anyways this movie was a good movie I though it would be 10x better then "Gangs of New York" but I was wrong...

IT IS 30x BETTER

Ain't no FUCKIN' Romantic comedy!

Ain't crap!

I was a funny as hell movie! If it wasn't rated PG13 there might have been boobs in it. :(

But anyways this movie was a good movie I though it would be 10x better then "Gangs of New York" but I was wrong...

IT IS 30x BETTER

My god. I can't listen to a single word you say again.

Ever.

Jesus.

-DG

It says that they like crap. They like a nice big streaming plate of crap in front of their noses before it's shovel into their mouths as they smile and choke on it. It's like going into a restaurant that is serving plenty of good food, like nice thick steaks, sushi, cavier, roast duck and swordfish, and asking the waiter for the plate of crap. The start off with a nice diareiha soup, but move right on to the main course of crap. They lick the plate clean, order the fart flavored ice cream for desert, and asked to be anally raped so they can lick their own shit of the rapist's dick before leaving a big tip and going home. That's what this says about America.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

Oh it's a gem. Two ordinary guys are driving through the outback devilering $50,000 to a mobster or something for some reason. They hit a kangaroo and decide to put a sweat shirt on it and take a picture of themselves with it for some reason. The kangaroo comes to and hops away and the two guys need to catch him. Not not just that, the kangaroo talks, adn raps (old school of course) AND...AND does Dr. Evil impersonations, among others, I'm sure. Now THAT 100% pue All-American crap.

Saw this yesterday, as usual Junker's said most of it already. As IC said it was good to see Neeson in it, also good to see Brendan Gleeson in a strong supporting role, a great Irish character actor who doesn't get enough good roles, hopefully he'll get a career boost from this.

An interesting moral: SPOILER...Americans seek to fight a 'foreign threat' when in the end the real threat is their own government. :D...SPOILER