Hondo's Bar

Star Wars comics

Keth

Well, it depends on what they mean by "prequel." I haven't seen all the Clone Wars episodes yet, but...

Clone Wars and Rebels S1-3 spoilers

other than the fact Maul has a brother I don't think they touched a whole lot on his pre-Episode I life or training. Most of the Clone Wars stuff involved what he did between Episodes I - III. While he's still active in Rebels. Those guys running those shows love Maul, but he's got to be killed by Vader before Episode IV, no?

I guess technically Vader doesn't have to kill Maul, but it'd almost seem wrong if he was still out there roaming the galaxy--in canon--while Episodes IV-VI were going on. Plus they're really setting it up in Rebels that Maul has a plan to get vengeance on Vader and possibly the Emperor. My prediction is the Rebels series ends with Vader killing Maul and Ezra. At least that's how i should end, IMHO, if the series ends around the time of Rogue One, or before A New Hope. Or else it wouldn't make sense Yoda knowing there are two more Jedi alive in Empire and telling Obi-wan there's just Luke and Leia left.

Unless...when Yoda says the famous, "There is another," line he's not talking about Leia but Ezra. I don't know how I'd feel about that. I probably wouldn't like it. No sir.

Maul going up against Vader would be awesome (and I expect to see it at some point), but Obi-Wan's gotta kill Maul, no? The Emperor in a cop out kill, at least.

Also, yeah, they mostly focus on Savage Opress in The Clone Wars, but they give you some of Maul's origin. The Nightsisters stuff and all that. And, of course, how can I forget the Dark Horse CANON comic: Son of Dathomir! I never read it, but, from what I understand, it was the unrealsed stories that The Clone Wars didn't get to tell because of the canceling.

Anyways, I'm all for more Maul as long as they don't fuck with the stuff they've already established.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

Nightsisters! I was trying to remember their name. Yeah, I think the Nightsisters planet or temple is where those Inquisitors, or at least the female one, from Rebels S1-2 came from, too.

I read Son of Dathomir a while ago but have either forgotten it or gotten it mixed up w/ the few Clone Wars episodes of Maul I've seen.

And is anyone reading these other new Marvel/canon SW comics out? I've read only a few.

* The Obi-Wan and Anakin mini was good.

* Leia mini-series was meh. Easily skipped.

* Ditto for the Chewbacca mini-series. I bailed after the first or second issue.

* C-3PO one-shot that tells the story of his red arm in Episode VII was okay.

* Darth Vader ongoing series seems to be pretty damn good. I read a few issues a while back and really dug it. I want to catch up on the whole run when I get a chance; ditto with the Star Wars monthly series.

Are the nightsisters part of the new canon? I'm finishing up *thinks* Fate of the Jedi series now. I've only really listened to this series and the series that came before it, with a smattering of other pre reset books (I finally gave the Thrawn stuff another shot, didn't like it as a kid, liked it better as an adult in audio form).

Everything animated is canon (Clone Wars/Rebels). All the new Marvel comics too, of course. I think I read somewhere that the comic Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, while not Marvel, is considered canon because it was a story that was supposed to be told during the cancelled season of The Clone Wars.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

They re-wrote Ventress' ending to link it with Quinlan Vos. Some anecdote I read says it was for no reason other than Lucas walking into a writer's meeting right before Disney bought him out, sees action figures of the two, pushes them together and goes 'these two are friends' and the writers in the room are trying to keep themselves from going apeshit over all the volumes upon volumes of backstory that one change nulls. Not sure if it's true but it sounds like a typical Lucas dick move.

Also, her character was based off of early concept art for Darth Maul, she looked a lot more like a Hellraiser Cenobite in those early drawings too... Lucas ended up going with the one that looked more like the devil himself and so the final red-faced horned version was chosen and we got the Maul we know and love... I suddenly realize I probably read too many art mags while hanging in Barnes and Noble.

Edited by Drifter

Didn't Anakin kill Asaj Ventress in the first Clone Wars series? It's been so long since I thought of her, but she was the first baddie introduced in the animated Clone Wars, right? Wasn't she an apprentice to Dooku? #toolazytowiki

In the first comic series Anakin gave Ventress the Mace Windu treatment (stab, slash, electrocute, defenestrate, and a long fall to the bottom of Coruscant) but "She got better."

I never really saw much of the first clone wars TV series. And if you want an animated Star Wars musical try Robot Chicken or the cancelled Star Wars Detours series- 39 episodes never to see the light of day.

• 5 months later...