Hondo's Bar

Midsommar

• 3 months later...

The director of Midsommar had a chat with Jordan Peele for Fangoria, and Peele’s comments have me even more hyped for this. 

“When I texted you after the screening, I wrote, ‘I think you’ve made the most idyllic horror film of all time,'” Peele says. “You’ve taken ‘Stepford Wives’ and shattered the attractiveness of that movie with this one. That alone is a feat. Also, there are some obvious comps out there, but this movie is just so unique. This hasn’t existed yet, and anything after ‘Midsommar’ is going to have to contend with it. I mean, this usurps ‘The Wicker Man’ as the most iconic pagan movie to be referenced.”

He said a lot more  but I didn’t want to know too much so I didn’t read the entire thing, just in case there were mild spoilers. But given that Peele’s made two of my favorite recent horror flicks, I trust his taste!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man, Ari Aster sure does like having people wail inhumanly. This movie was 2 and 1\2 hrs long. I suggest renting it. Not bad, but it drags and gets to a point of frustration, for me at least. Alot of it is great though.

Don't feel like i wasted my time watching it, but I felt a lot of it was re-treading Hereditary and its extremely slow especially when the plot is super spelled out for you. I agree with Axels, this might be a better rental for a lot of people. 

I compare Aris first two outings against Peeles and I think Peele has a stronger more diverse showing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We saw it tonight. Quick question for you guys who’ve seen it! We had a big storm and the movie cut out right at the very end and never came back. We wanted to know if what we saw was the actual end. 

Spoiler

So the yellow barn with all the dead bodies was on fire. It dissolved into Dani’s face with a creepy smile. And then the theater went black. We thought that was intentional but credits never came and someone walked outside and said it happened in all the theaters.

It was scary because when it went dark, we heard the door to our theater slam shut and I was like “fuck, they’re Midsommaring us!” But we survived! 😂 

So yeah, did anything happen after Dani’s weird close-up smile?

On 7/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, Bindusara said:

I compare Aris first two outings against Peeles and I think Peele has a stronger more diverse showing.  

^Agreed 100%. 

This wasn’t bad, it was just underwhelming compared to the hype.  That one scene though.....that was probably the most disturbing thing I’ve ever seen on screen. Nick covered my eyes and ears for me and was like “No no no no, don’t look, don’t look, don’t look.” I caught enough to be scarred for life. It lost so much intensity after that. 

yeah, i think i liked it more than donny but hereditary was better 

we agreed that it started out stronger but while i enjoyed the general unease and witch like ending, i questioned why 3 or so deaths were off screen - yeah, the chicken coop discovery was great but did anyone else feel like those might've been missed opportunities?

1 hour ago, The NZA said:

Hide contents

we agreed that it started out stronger but while i enjoyed the general unease and witch like ending, i questioned why 3 or so deaths were off screen - yeah, the chicken coop discovery was great but did anyone else feel like those might've been missed opportunities?

Spoiler

Yeah, I mean we know the British couple has been killed, that’s no surprise. So by the time the two from their group go missing, it feels like time to show a little more of the deaths. I mean we did see that one guy get hit after taking pics of the scripture, but they’d set the bar for gore so high with the jumpers, I was expecting more and it felt anticlimactic. 

But even still, I was fascinated by the cult/pagan/ritual aspect for sure. And it was so well shot and visually interesting. The main actress was fantastic. Just wanted more! 

Edited by Donatella
  • Upvote 1