Hondo's Bar

Your Top Ten

Dag

I read Superman Red Son this weekend after buying a copy at the comic shop (I looked for Kabuki too, but I didn't see it there). I loved it.

I haven't really been reading too many comics for a while now. I mostly read novels, a lot of non-fiction, and occult books. I would like to hear what your guys top ten comics of all time would be.

Personally, I really enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Sandman. I didn't like Watchmen or the first Preacher (please don't throw eggs at me!) anthology. It's perfectly okay if you put those two in your lists, as they are your lists.

No order here, just going off the top of my head. 

OG Infinity Gauntlet (yes, this isnt for everyone just a childhood love)

Sandman

Transmet

Maus

The Magneto Testament (i love the bonus teacher material in the back)

Watchmen

Kingdom Come

Scott Pilgrim

God Loves, Man Kills

DMZ

Bonus: Locke and Key (everyone plz read this)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

capes

daredevil - frank miller > bendis > bru > waid is a hell of a ride

watchmen - a given

captain america - byrne, engelhart, brubaker

hitman

moon knight - moench, huston, ellis

gotham central

iron fist - thomas, byrne, fraction

x-men - byrne/cleremont, morisson, hickman's current run is incredible so far

hawkguy (it was between this & ms marvel for just really fun books)

spider-man - there's a lot of arcs i've loved, could prolly do a thread on this

if i had extra slots: runs on black panther, hickman's avengers build up to & including secret war, morisson's all-star superman, others that didn't make the cut

other

lone wolf & cub

hellboy/BPRD

kabuki

the maxx

bone

sandman

criminal

usagi yojimbo

y: the last man (again, bkv can do no wrong)

preacher

despite lone wolf, tried to stay away from manga cause that'd be yet another list, some greats there too (berserk, akira, vagabond, etc)

these lists are subject to change, im reading stuff alla time and there's a number i wanted up there but haven't finished yet!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 8:24 PM, The Vagrant said:

I read Superman Red Son this weekend after buying a copy at the comic shop (I looked for Kabuki too, but I didn't see it there). I loved it.

I haven't really been reading too many comics for a while now. I mostly read novels, a lot of non-fiction, and occult books. I would like to hear what your guys top ten comics of all time would be.

Personally, I really enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Sandman. I didn't like Watchmen or the first Preacher (please don't throw eggs at me!) anthology. It's perfectly okay if you put those two in your lists, as they are your lists.

Coincidentally, I just ordered the last two volumes of Absolute Sandman along with Overture. I'm looking forward to re-reading this series in "chronological order" in this beautiful, over-sized format.

I'll need to think on it some as well for my "Top 10." Off the top of my head, it's a DC heavy list with Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke,  The Long Halloween, & Death in the Family coming immediately to mind. Strong contenders for my top 10 also include the first two Sin City books, X-Men: Age of Apocalypse, Millar's first Old Man Logan arc, BK Vaughn & Fiona Staples' Saga, The Walking Dead, and MARVELS.

• Like 1

Marvels is such a great one, i've been meaning to reread the annotated ones they just put out

saga's a bold choice being unfinished though...ive no doubt BKV & staples will nail the landing, but then he's ended stuff like ex machina in a way that kinda made me mostly forget about the title (DMZ also did this for me, but i enjoy wood's work in general).

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader

Batman: Arkham Asylum {Morrison}

Watchmen

Preacher

House of M

Black Hole

Uzumaki

Punisher Kills the Marvel U

We3

Pussey!

I'll be referring back here for others' recommendations. Some honorables include Donny Cates' go around on Venom. Berserk is up there also. Walking Dead deserves some love too for basically being my gateway drug. And being pretty damn good for a really long time.

Edited by Axels
  • Like 1