Hondo's Bar

Studio Ghibli

The NZA

The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki on Bluray 11/17 (Amazon Exclusive)

nvZv2j7.jpg

Due out exclusively from Amazon on November 17th, The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki contains each of the maestro’s eleven feature films: Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo, and The Wind Rises.

But the highlight for those who already own all of these films on Blu-ray will be the set’s bonus features, including Yuki no Taiyo (Yuki’s Sun) — a 1972 television pilot based on a manga by Tetsuya Chiba that was directed, storyboarded and animated by Hayao Miyazaki. The set also contains three episodes (26, 27, and 41) of the 1972 anime series Akado Suzunosuk (Little Samurai), featuring storyboards by the filmmaker. Fans will also get the uncut version of Miyazaki’s Retirement Press Conference, which was thankfully not the final page in his career. The whole package is rounded off with a book featuring The Great Dichotomy: Looking at the Works of Hayao Miyazaki by Tomohiro Machiyama, which “explores the themes and techniques of this revered Japanese filmmaker, and selected text from Hayao Miyazaki’s initial notes and creative proposals for the production of each film.”

Totally gonna get this. Got Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Ponyo on DVD - been holding off on Bluray upgrades, they're kinda steep. That beautiful set makes me want to just fork over the dough and have the whole collection in one go.

Kinda wish they had the Secret World of Arrietty in there.

• 4 months later...

Ghibli movie 'Only Yesterday' will be released for the first time in US theatres

220px-OYpost.jpg

GKIDS, the award-winning distributor of animated adult and family films, acquired North American rights to Isao Takahata's "Only Yesterday" earlier this year, and they have finally set theatrical release dates for what will be the first-ever U.S. theatrical release of the 1991 masterpiece. The new English-language version features a voice cast of Dev Patel, Daisy Ridley and more.

The film's official synopsis reads: "It's 1982, and Taeko is 27 years old, unmarried, and has lived her whole life in Tokyo. While traveling by train to visit family in the country, memories flood back of her as a schoolgirl in 1966, and she starts to question whether she has been true to herself."

The North American rollout of "Only Yesterday" will begin on January 1 at New York City's IFC Center. GKIDS is planning a nationwide expansion on February 26.

1qhXHA3.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki are making a new film

The inevitable was eventually confirmed as we found out that Miyazaki was secretly working on “Boro the Caterpillar,” a film which was intended as a short, but which the Japanese master said left him with an unsatisfied feeling. Last fall, the director has presented a proposal to make a full length movie, and started working on storyboards, with a goal to release the film in 2019, right before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Details are yet to come, but if we needed any kind of good news on this Friday it’s that Studio Ghibli’s production department has officially been reopened today. Miyazaki is at work on his new feature, which is either a feature length version of “Boro the Caterpillar,” or something else entirely. We’ll find out in time.

aa6.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

^  Cooool.

I'm coincidentally binging on Ghibli stuff.  We did 'Castle in the Sky' last night.

We knocked out a ton of 'blu ray upgrades' during Black Friday - including a bunch of Ghibli on blu for $11 bucks a pop.

tumblr_p2bai8NG8j1vndct2o1_540.jpg

We're currently on a mission to get all there is - 'Howl's Moving Castle' (blu upgrade) is already on it's way.

tumblr_masaut09dT1r2kkvco1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

I hadn't ever seen 'Castle in the Sky' either, till last night.  It was my first time...

tumblr_mxmayhiOWp1r5lgpjo1_400.jpg

...LOL!!!  Surprised to learn it pre-dates Totoro!  W/out spoilin' nuthin' - it's super 80s - pretty charming.  A lot to appreciate.

Ponyo?!  Never?  Oh, man - for your first time, you gotta do that on blu.

candles.jpg

LOL!!!  (wipes tears)

'Ey - just having the Ghibli flicks - part of anyone's collection - (if you can find 'em on the cheap) - totally worth it.  Top-notch stuff.  My brain was so used to watchin' 'em on DVD - for yeeears.  Seeing 'em again on blu?

b960f84ec0b6177ae5667b1fd3866631--emmett

The way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

'Howl's Moving Castle' finally got here - all these flicks came w/ this lil' insert 'booklet' thingie...basically a 'thank you' from the 'filmmakers'...but 'Howl' was odd in that is also came w/ a slip pamphlet w/ all the Ghibli flicks available on blu -

- thought I'd post - if anyone is considering hunting, you can see the size of the current Ghibli library.

tumblr_p2u5r0EddK1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_p2u59ukoGQ1vndct2o1_540.jpg

(squints) Damn, that's fuzzy...uh, that's 15 flicks total.

• 2 months later...