Hondo's Bar

BATTLE ROYALE 2!!!

I was fucking around when I found out that there's a sequel to BR on the way.

posterbr2.gif

THERE'S A FEW SPOILERS IN HERE FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN THE ORIGINAL SO BE WARNED

THERE'S A FEW SPOILERS IN HERE FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN THE ORIGINAL SO BE WARNED

Set one year after BR1, the two surviving students from the previous year's bloodbath, Shuya Nanahara (Fujiwara) and Noriko Nakagawa (Aki Maeda) return home, their lives permanently scarred by the terrifying experiences of BR1. Around them, the Battle Royale act continues and another class is kidnapped and placed in a Battle Royale. After the previous incidents, the public becomes aware of what the Japanese government is doing to their children and riots break out, some people violently attacking Japanese politicians in the street. Democracy no longer exists in this Japan where the country is dictated by the Japanese military who came away from World War II victorious alongside Germany. The rioters are violently dealt with and their children are thrown in to Battle Royale along with the randomly selected tenth grade class of boys and girls.

The Battle Royale Second Movie is based on the Koshun Takami novel which follows on from the first novel, however unlike the novel features the two main characters returning to Battle Royale. In an act of aggression and in order to take revenge on the adults, Nanahara attempts to attack Japanese Parliament with little support from Nakagawa, who, after being traumatized by her experience in the previous Battle Royale, is indifferent to Nanahara's decision. Nanahara's plans to attack the government are soon uncovered and Nanahara is classified as a global terrorist and is stamped as being involved with Afghanistan. Resultantly, the United States Military steps in along with the assistances of a new team of students to fight Nanahara, in and outside of the BR Island battlefield.

END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF SPOILERS END OF

Now I was a huge fan of the original and it's definitly there as one of my favorite movies of all time and I think this could be good. I didn't actually know that Koshun Takami had written a sequel to the novel so since the original author wrote the story I'd say we got a winner here. I also just found out that Kinji Fukasaku died of prostate cancer during the production. For those of you not familar with him, he made "Battle Royale" at the age of 70 and was also responsible for "Tora, Tora, Tora!" and sixty other movies. He died in January this year and his son Kenta Fukasaku who co-directed and scripted "Battle Royale" has taken over from his late father.

Kenta Fukasaku on the BR2 set

preview_2.gif

Kinji Fukasaku on the BR2 set

preview_1.jpg

For all of the American posse, I am aware that it's banned in the states but the DVD of the Special Edition is distributed by Tartan Video and is Region 0 so it'll play on any player. It's definitly worth the buy. I'd say it's on amazon.co.uk and I also saw it in the local mall here in Chatham, NJ being sold on a stand (I wouldn't bother looking at Blockbuster....), so I'm sure that if you look you'll find it. You can also get clips of the movie and the trailer at http://www.battleroyalethemovie.com/ and if these don't leave ya gagging for more, I don't know what will.

**MLB too creams in his khakis** Whatever that means? :D

As it is based on the a novel of a sequel and seems to have much the same team as the first effort I think its fair to get very excited about this one.

As the Vandals say in one of theire songs...Is it too soon to whisper Oscar B) Can't friggin' wait.

**MLB too creams in his khakis** Whatever that means?  :D

Uh...it's a Kentucky Fried Movie referance for getting so excited you have a little, let's say accident in the pants department...

The movie is out in Japan in the summer so fuck knows when we'll get it. Fuck X2, The Hulk and every other event movie of this summer, they all now play second fiddle to BR2.

Uh...it's a Kentucky Fried Movie referance for getting so excited you have a little, let's say accident in the pants department...

Hey thought you were british 2T, thought you'd know sarcasm when it slaps you in the face ???

I agree, no other movie is worth getting excited about anymore (except Kill Bill). Is BR banned in yank-country or something?

Sorry 'bout that - I guess the BR2 excitement went to my head and I lost it for a few seconds...

Yeah the powers that be banned BR after the whole Columbine thing. Strangly enough I've watched the movie about a hundered times and I've yet to massacre any students from my local school but as the song went "It takes diff'rent strokes to rule the world"

P.S. Calling an Irishman "British" is an offence!

Do'h - I fucked up. It's not banned per se...it's just that post-Columbine no distributors in the U.S. had the balls to pick it up. Quentin Tarantino is a big fan (there's a promo with him on the Special Edition DVD) so I'm surprised he never did anything about it.

As for part two, after doing a bit of homework and seeing the trailer there's not a chance it'll ever see the light of the day in the U.S.A. considering the fact that the 'good guys' are terrorists and there's alot of September 11th referances.

Uhm...ok SOF & others went on bout this one. Spiffytee for some reason just says "its...its crazy, man" about it. I still havent had a chance to see part 1 yet, and it sounds like part 2 has no chance at all here..any ideas of how to catch the original these days? Im gonna check Kazaa.

ps them chicks look hot. :D

Yeah deffo. Ya even get a frame of film with it. I got Mitsuko :D .

The film is an alternative version (some shots are different, there's a few extra scenes and the end is longer) and the extras for the most part are great except for on or two that the dumb fucks forgot to subtitle - the bastards....

My greasy mits are waiting till I get back to broadband? Can I find the BR2 teaser on Kazaa then or what?

Been meaning to ask 2T. The special edition has whats listed as a "alternate ending" but have heard its just an extended ending. I've heard mixed things, some say its better, some say its not as good. Proabaly gonna get the SE anyway fro the rest of the xtras but whats your take on the different ending?

Well, it is a different ending. There are a few more scenes added in. The thing is that for people who didn't see the regular edition the ending may drag on a bit. When showing it to friends I was tempted to just stop the DVD at the RUN! part. So it's good and adds a bit of character development but it does kind of take away from the original ending.

There's some pretty nifty (albeit small) different scenes and another all new one with the class playing basketball put in which also add to the movie. There's a nice little bit of the R-15 classification getting ripped apart at the start too, Kinji Fukasaku's way of giving the censors a "Fuck You" for basically giving him a suicide rating.

You can get the trailer all over the gaff (it's short as fuck). Here's a link to it if you're feeling too lazy to go looking....

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/b/b...tleroyale2.shtm