Hondo's Bar

BATTLE ROYALE 2!!!

...holy shit, that was one of the most twisted things ive seen in quite a while. No fuckin way we were gonna see that stateside, after Columbine.

Entertaining, but fuck, it didnt pull many punches...i kept thinkin at first, no way, its a bad dream sequence.. I was torn between wantin to see Mitsuko die or get nekkid. Acting (granted, mostly kids) wasnt phenomenol but plot kept it goin alla way, didnt know spiffy's guy from "Brother" was the principal-man; i think some of my favorite shit is during the early parts of the training video when he's tryin to get hyped along with the video chick, while everyone else is frozen in fear...

(on a side note, 2T's avatar is a whole lot cooler now) This movie makes you think chicks are very, very dumb, too. Oh, and some people get outright shafted when it comes to grab bags.

I'm down for part 2 when its sub'd. No idea how its gonna go where it will, but eh, ill go along for the ride (how are the parents not noticing these kids being gone, are they all orphans?). Hurray for hot japanese chicks and gratuitous violence...im not quite on 2T's bandwagon of hype (sorry, im gonna be a whore for X2) but the sequel definitely joins the list of things to catch this year if i can.

battleroyale.gif

Asian Extreme rules, can't wait to see Audition. Gonna rent it soon. Nice to have someone else who has seen it.

As for Battle Royale 2 vs X2, the mutants don't even come close :sly:

2T, gonna have to wait to see the trailer, computer doesn't like trying to load something on windows media, etc. Goddamn 56k

Nanahara vs. Wolverine....

Yeah, fuck that as much as I love the X-men, fuck I've spent my whole life reading the books, BR2 has got me alot more interested than X2. I really wanna see how the whole terrorist thing plays out. It's a touchy subject and having terrorists as heroes ain't gonna be too popular with alot of people.

Yeah, that alone will be interestin as fuck, and knowin that this movie (based on part 1) doesnt even seem to know how to puss out on the killings, its gonna be, well, crazy. And im really down for it.

But...Jackman's back as Wolvy, and he's fightin Lady Deathstrike...sorry, im a fanboy here i know. But that shouldnt take from this one in any event - spiffy, im burning the MPEG to CD for your archives (if i can make it fit), its really good quality with the subs & all.

Man..those hacker kids, those stupid girls...argh, still sucks how it went down, but you just knew very few would make it off. You know, if i saw this in high school...no fuckin way id go on another field trip. :D

So.... I guess I'll get back to you all in 60 hours or so.... fuckin 56k. First I'm gonna check the obscure foreign video store tho, they have lots of stuff. I'm usually opposed to dling shit on Kazaa, but if I can't find it in the bloody country I'll make it an exception.

Junker - i return in a few weeks, if you cant find it, ill hook it up. Its good quality, maybe spiffy can encode it to VCD so we can watch on his DVD setup.

ps body count was a cool feature, i meant to mention that. Damn lighthouse! Fakin women, couldntve just kept cooking.. ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For our recently-returned 2Track...more from Comic Book Resources...

BATTLE ROYALE

In the film-to-comics front, fans in the U.S. will want to seek out "Battle Royale" in comic stores this week. Published by TOKYOPOP in true manga format, the book adapts the controversial Japanese movie.

Caustic wit Keith Giffen ("Formerly Known as the Justice League", "Lobo: Unbound") has taken on the task of writing the English adaptation of Koushun Takami and Masayuki Taguchi's graphic novel.

Takami Koushun wrote the original novel, which the manga was based on. The books then inspired the film, directed by Kinji Fukasaku. 

The premise "Battle Royale" involves a near-future Japan, plagued by economic and social decay, and an increasingly violent youth underclass. To remedy the situation, the government enacts the Battle Royale Act, creating a to-the-death tournament for under-achieving junior high school age children. The students are isolated on an island, given guns and other weapons, and forced to engage in the bloody, last-man-standing contest.

The ultra-violent movie, largely viewed as unsuitable for mainstream, American, post-Columbine audiences, has never seen a legitimate release in the U.S.

TOKYOPOP presents all their manga titles in true manga format, reading right-to-left in order to preserve all artwork and sound effects as intended in the original publication. 

"Battle Royale, Vol. 1" scored an A- grade in Entertainment Weekly's comics section, making it the highest-rated book reviewed by the entertainment mag this week. The book is in stores this week.

I bought it last week, fucking mental. I might write a review when I get a moment in the comic part. It has some similarities to the film but a lot more background which is cool. Also, the teacher is much more mean and sleazy and Mitsuko even more hot. :approve: Can't wait for Vol. 2....

• 2 weeks later...