Hondo's Bar

Born

The NZA

Ennis is looking to make Punisher a lot less funny, and a lot darker in the coming year. He's starting it off with Born, a 4-issue Marvel Knights mini-series of veteran Frank Castle's 3rd tour through Vietnam special ops, before losing his family. The series gets off in June, and Ennis had this to say of it:

There's not much humor in this at all. This is one of the bleakest and most brutal things I have ever written - possibly the bleakest and most brutal. There's no grotesque characters with their faces all fucked up, there's no people dying amusingly in toilets. There's not even anything much in the way of a humorous one-liner tossed in by a character. This is a pretty nasty goddamn book. It's pretty much a vision of hell.

Ennis interview on Born (thanks to mysterytramp over at Preacher's for the link)

born_1.jpg

I'm pretty psyched about this one. Ennis does war damn fucking well and I can't wait to see his Frank in the 'Nam. Maybe this'll flesh out Mr. Castle a bit more as well....he seems to be getting more and more one-dimensional as time goes by...

"Punisher War Journal, entry 867-5309 I'm gonna get all the scum off the streets. These punks got no reason to live...just like short people."

Roll on June.

• 3 months later...

Replace Marvel Knights with MAX!

I just picked the first issue up today and I gotta say it's class. Ennis/Robertson and MAX are a great team up. First "Fury" then this...wowza. And as any Ennis reader can verify, if there's one thing Garth knows it's war and bringing Frank back to the 'Nam (in way that could never be done in a regular Marvel book) was genius. I can't wait to see how this series continues. I highly recomend this bad boy.

There's not much humor in this at all. This is one of the bleakest and most brutal things I have ever written - possibly the bleakest and most brutal.
]

Shit, and that's sayin' somethin'. Ennis has done some really bleak and brutal things in his career. Brings back images of Tulip getting her brains blown out the back of her skull in Preacher.

Yeah, meant to review it: 2T's on the money. I'm hyped, this one needs to be a hardcover trade with extra scripts of the shit Ennis thought was too dark for even this book...

Dark characterization, Robertson's art fitting the book to a tee....pick this one up if you can still find it. Ennis cant be faulted on war books, and this one's lookin to be up there with War Story & Preacher's war tales if it keeps it goin like this.