Hondo's Bar

Very First Popular Anime Series

Acalis

Does anyone know which Anime claims the honor of being the first one to ever start the Anime craze that haunts us to this day?  My money is on Speed Racer, but I have a strong idea that there were MANY more that came before that one.  Any clues?

Guest Yahve

The craze?? hmm in not old enough to know 1st hand but speed racer would be my 1st good guess.  

speedracer:macross or voltron :sailormoon:dragonball:pokémon: .....

who is leading now ?  gundam wing was strong but didnt last too long. i think we have finally reached a point where there is enough variety in available anime to the american public where there is no "champion" of japanese anime at the moment..

• 3 weeks later...
craze is a relative term of course, but craze in the lightest sense of the word: astro boy. Craze in the strongest sense of the word: pokemon. Some that live in the realm in between include: speed racer, voltron, dragon ball z, G-force.

Like I said, it all depends on your definition of craze. History books might credit Pokemon with it.

well Ihave to agree with what JMT is saying to us it could have been a number of different anime's but now even little kids are into watching anime not just pokemon, sailormoon, or digimon but different ones not just the main stream anymore I think its great cause its helping the culture a lot cause if you think about it Japanese culture has never been as big in the US as it is now...  :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

true true, but i never really did like astroboy ;)

As for transformers, even though it was drawn by japanese artists, it was a mix of anime and american style animation. thus i dont call it "real" anime. it was specificallly designed for the american public. anime is actually meant for the japanese public :D