Hondo's Bar

Jay-Z

The NZA

B0000DZFL0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Well, reviews are startin to come in on Jigga man's lastest, and what he advertises as his final LP: "The Black Album". It's catching hype, more so than Ludacris' "Chicken n' Beer" only a month or two back. If youre listenin to the radio, you mightve already caught his new single (i believe Pharell's in it, too), "Change clothes", its typical Jay-Z stuff - fun song, made for radios & clubs.

Thing is, there's serious hype goin around this one: some radio DJ's are puttin out there on par with Notorious B.I.G.'s debut, "Ready to Die". This piqued my curioisity; that album, along with Nas' "Illmatic", Wu-Tang's "Enter the 36 Chambers", and a small list of others are universally known as hip-hop's finest, hands down. It's a bold statement to make, but then again, Jay's used the Roc (his group) to make other bold moves, such as attacking Nas on previous album "The Blueprint" in his controversial song, "The Takeover". Those of you who heard his rebuttal, "Ether", now how that ended. :D

If my hard drive had more room & i was patient enough to deal with all the fake tracks on kazaa, id give it a go, but that's not the case. Just wanted to know if anyone'd picked up this album or heard anythin else off of it, and if so, what'd you think? I hear "December 4th", "Public Service Announcement" and "Threat" are supposed to be good, im tryin to download "What more can i say" right after this post. Anyway, if you heard anythin else off of hear, talk!

:D I have to admit I am a huge Jay-Z fan and I already downloaded the whole album onto my comp the day it came out...you know people had that playing everywhere.

anyways I really like it I have to admit some of his best stuff...I doubt that he is gonna stay out of the media cause once your in the lime light you become addicted you know...

it's a must have in my eyes...

Ok, the new radio one "Dirt off your shoulder" is tight, "Public Service Announcement" was good (need to listen to that one again), and the finale "Encore" is badass too...im thinkin i should download the rest of this album, its soundin really good so far.

"hey, I'm a hustler, homie

you a customer, cronie

got some dirt on my shoulder

could you brush it off for me?" :D

I don't think it was his plan to stay out of the media, just not to release any more albums. I'm pretty sure he will still star in songs with other people with his Rockafella group and I'm almost positive that he'll continue doing collaborations with people, kind of like Pharrell from the Neptunes, appearing in lots of tracks, just at a much smaller scale.

Exactly; thats why he was hypin this as his last "solo" effort; the man's all over Beyonce, Freeway, Memphis Bleek, any Roc or other production...he's on more remixes than Busta Rhymes.

Still, he'll come back for another one down the road when the $'s right, he's not hurting. Meantime, what ive heard off this album, he at least feels serious about an exit, this album has more feeling to it than ive heard out of him since Reasonable Doubt, you know? I havent gotten tired of "Encore" yet, movin onto other tracks tonite tho. Oh, off his older ones, i heard "2 Many Hoes" last night, taht was a good track too.

• 4 years later...

yeah, i sent copies of that one around this site years back. i know there were tons of different colors/mixes/mash-ups after that, but very few i ended up keeping, any favorites?

ps this album really made his last one look weak in comparison.

• 1 year later...

51RQW6NVTEL._SS500_.jpg

I dunno how we dont have a jigga thread. here's the thing: when I first heard Jay-Z in the mid-90s, he was on his Hard Knock Tour with Meth, Redman, and a lotta artists i liked better than him - he'd been around a lot longer, but we didnt have Reasonable Doubt on my block, for whatever reason. By the time he got big, it felt like DMX, Ja and a handful of people trying to fill 2Pac's spot while Jay was clearly wanting Biggie's, and i wasnt into that...but even when the dude didnt say anything really new (metaphorically, he's top notch sometimes though), his flow was good enough where you didnt mind hearing it again. I say that about very few people, outside of him and maybe the Clipse when they're on.

Fast forward a few albums - he had hits & misses, but like some of the better MCs, even his weak albums were good - and once he got ether'd by Nas and that was over & done with, I started appreciating him again. By '03, hip-hop was so fucked commercially that the Black Album was a fucking blessing, and i still argue its one of his best, track-for-track, since volume 1.

Kingdom Come and his shit on American Gangster was ok, nothing major. You'll catch him on remixes of everything from a billie to mike jones shit, but he's clearly been making more off running his own label than music for a while, which is cool. But i was still surprised to see he's working on Blueprint 3, much less that its rumored to drop September 11th, 2009 - exactly 8 years after the first.

First single, "D.O.A. (Death of Autotune)" kinda leaked, here it is:

"This isn't a hit record, it's practically assault with a deadly weapon"...nice. we'll see how the album fares, i just found out Mos Def did something new too. this is how outta the loop i am, but then again, dude's been disappointing.

Jay-Z takes shit for being one of the most mainstream rappers out there, as well as the fact that his content - hustling & such - havent really changed much across all his albums. granted, he gets his moments of clarity on the albums and can talk about other shit, but the image that resonates of him is the one that gets played in the clubs & on the radio. Rightfully so, dude made much of his money this way.

skill-wise though, Jay'z no slouch. If someone were to say 50 Cent's first album was great cause it had amazing production just handed to him, and that his style had nothing exceptional about it, id not really disagree. The Gray Album you're citing is really the lyrical content of The Black album + Beatles beats (you know this already, but for the sake of the thread). The Black album though, again, showed not just lyrical finesse but ridiculous production between 9th Wonder, Kanye and a lot of others on top of their game.

youre right about hype & glory, i mean, the man owns his own label at this point. but ill have to disagree about far better, personally - for sheer career length & consistency alone, i tend to think any top 10 MC's list devoid of his name is lying.

Staying power is all well and good, but it doesn't account for raw talent and ability, just success and marketability.

(I'm guessing we could argue this back and forth and not come close to changing each others minds on this though, I just have a dislike really of him, i have never really connected with any of his stuff and to me as someone who hasn't connected with his stuff, his hype and what not is unjustified, but there's no doubt of his success, and as far as mainstreamers go he'd be the best of a bad bunch)

Archived