Hondo's Bar

VaNiLLa SkY

Guest Yahve

Score: 8.0  

Great thinking flick.  Strong estrogen balance.   The meat of this film isn't really the twists and turns of the plot.  I found that small trials and trouble's Cruise had to deal with are what made the film.

I'm mostly with Yahven, this one was one of the better ones id seen in a while.  Sad how any hint of existentialism in a movie makes folks yell "The Matrix! Its the matrix!" But i wont spoil nothin....

Hey, anyone round here wanna go see "Black Hawk Down" soon? :D

Black Hawk Down is supposed to be absolutely badass, I'm up for seeing that anytime, I've just been waiting to see it with some people.    Oh, and now that I'm reminded by my former post about that French movie, I saw another really cool French one, Brotherhood of the Wolf.  Holy fuck that was cool, stylish martial arts special effects everything and teh kitchen sink stuff.  What is it with those Frenchies recently?

Man, you gotta be one of the harshest critics i know.

I agree; idve rather seen Pitt than Cruise.  But it was a clever and entertainin flick, i think the only thing ya had against it was that you said the characters didnt interest you enough to be shocked with the twists & curveballs it threw you...

Now, assumin thats why you didnt seem to like this flick, even with its decent characters (ill go along with uninterestin, but ya cant say they acted like shit. hell i thought it was fun just havin Jason Lee in there), ya still came out of a well written, interestin movie, which is far more than i can say for many movies ive seen recently, not includin your RingLord.  

The only other question i had for everyone is this: My group at the flick hates Penelope Cruz.  While i cant see arguin that she's better than Cameron Diaz, cause thatd be crazy, is she really that bad? I thought she was hot...

Anyway Artistic, what ratin did you give it on your unique scale?

I thought Cruise was just fine for the part and did a good job.  I didn't know there was a new rule that all relatively young roles must be played by Pitt.  He has his work cut out for him...  I don't really see what there isn't to like about the movie, it's a damned fine mindfuck.  And I don't have any problems with penelope cruz, I didn't think she took away from the movie at all.  

As for BrigitDryad0's question as to what other good movies are out, see the royal tenebaums!  That movie just kicked ass.  A beautiful mind was really cool too.  Not this whole "give everyone an oscar! Fuck it, give the guy who holds the microphone an oscar!" movie, but it was really good.

Also, Gosford Park is good if you have the attention span for it.

Funny to mention this but I think Tom did a better job than Brad would have done.  This is Tom's kind of film.  He excels at portraying a cool yet imperfect individual.  Pitt comes off as..... hmm how to say... too perfect, too incontrol.  They needed a flawed pretty boy, and Cruise is just the man for the job.   hell I would have chosen Val Kilmer over Pitt for this one.  Mind you, I AM a big fan of Brad, this role just wasn't ideal for his style of acting.  They needed someone mushier, someone with naivety that comes off as cool with an air of credibility. Hmm now that I think about it, a younger Mel Gibson could have pulled it off as well.

oh and artistic i agree with you, i loved royal tannenbaums... i love dark comedies like that, and owen wilson is a really good director/writer in my opinion..(i LOVED rushmore)

the other thing that pissed me off about Vanilla Sky was that they weren't constant with the whole theme of living a dream based on things that you had seen/liked in your real life.. i mean they only pinpointed 3 things, (the bob dylan cover, atticus fitch in "to kill a mockingbird" and penelope cruz was supposed to be likened to audrey hepburn (BLASPHAMEY!) i think it would have been better if cameron crowe had added more things in there, so if you saw the movie a second time you could look back and be like "ohhh i get it now"

and am i the only one who thought the soundtrack kicked ass?

and you can never go wrong with Jason Lee, he's the man..

other good movie i saw lately was this foregin film made in the 1950's called "Roshoman"by the same director who directed "Seventh Samuraui..." it's on the tip of my tounge.. anyway i thought it was rather good..

i can't stop plugging "Hedwigg and the Angry Itch" by far one of the better movies i've seen this year...

You mean Akira Kurosawa.  You can't go wrong with anything he's done.  Ran, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Hidden Fortress are some of his other best ones.  A bunch of the westerns we watch are based on his movies.  If you like what you've seen so far, you'd love those.

(umm, it's a bit late after heartless' post, but this might *SPOIL* a little if ya haven't seen the flick.)

And yeah, I agree that they could've done more with that  dream idea in the movie, it's the perfect opportunity for a lot of added depth to the movie.  Imagine how cool it would be if almost every major shot was based on stuff we saw in his room in the beginning  (cd cases, video boxes, pictures, etc)?  Sure, it seems like a lot to ask for, but hey, it's a remake, so Crowe should have to work a little harder to make it worth watching.  I still loved the movie, but now that you mention it, there were some ideas in there that could have been gold that they didn't give enough attention to.  And I still say Cruise didn't do a bad job.  I don't really care if he's typecast, he's good at playing the character they always cast him as, what's the harm in that?  And of course the soundtrack kicked ass.     :D

The soundtrack for tenenbaums was great too, cool hey jude instrumental in the beginning, ramones, dylan, the clash, just full of cool music.  hell Rushmore had a great soundtrack too.  Have you ever seen Bottle Rocket?  It's Wes Anderson's first movie, it's supposed to be great.  Gotta rent that one one of these days.

Kurosawa is bad fuckin ass. I finally finished "Seven Samurai" the other day, fuckin great.  Yojimbo was incredible too, and yeah, they were remade as Magnificent Seven & A Fistfull of Dollars, respectively.

My next one's gonna be Ran, which im told is a remake of King Lear (which im still tryin to find, anyone have a copy of the version with Lawrence Olivier?).  Junker, how's that Hidden Fortress & the other one you mentioned?

Cant argue with the previous stuff; twas a good movie that had potential to really be great, but overall ive no real regrets.

Ran is just badass, some say his best one.  It's loosely based on King Lear, just the basic idea.  Hidden Fortress is supposedly Lucas's official inspiration for Star Wars.  It's basically a lighter, funnier kurosawa movie.  I never really understood the Star Wars thing that much, it's not all that similar, but it's still really good.  And Sanjuro is none other than the sequel to Yojimbo.  And it's just as good as yojimbo, if not better.

so, nobody's seen "Roshoman?"

oh and i agree, rushmore and royal tannenbaum's had an awesome soundtrack.. i think it was perfect that they used to stone's "Ruby Tuesday" in that one scene.. very appropriate..

and the director uses a lot of Cat Stevens too.. which is cool...

i am yet to see bottlerocket, but i hear it's good...

I know JunkerSeeD commented on it, but has anyone seen the original of Vanilla Sky (what it was based on)? Today i heard it was based on a Spanish play or somethin, but again that the original one was much better, wonder if its true...

Anyway, Black Hawk Down, lookin to be Sunday evenin for those interested - Gimme a call. :D