Hondo's Bar

The Sopranos

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

David Chase accidentally gave away his ending for the series

Sepinwall: When you said there was an end point, you don’t mean Tony at Holsten’s, you just meant, “I think I have two more years’ worth of stories left in me.”
Chase: Yes, I think I had that death scene around two years before the end … Tony was going to get called to a meeting with Johnny Sack in Manhattan, and he was going to go back through the Lincoln Tunnel for this meeting, and it was going to go black there and you never saw him again as he was heading back, the theory being that something bad happens to him at the meeting. But we didn’t do that.
Seitz: You realize, of course, that you just referred to that as a death scene.

[A long pause follows]
Chase: Fuck you guys.

• 2 years later...

One of my favorite exchanges from the show is the Tony and Ralph conversation after the Jackie Jr debacle

It's a masterclass in subtext. To borrow a breakdown from a Youtube comment

Mafia to (English) translation (from 0:52)
Ralph: He did a terrible thing (he's supposed to die for this)
Tony: Terrible... Your fkin card game (Yup... And its your job to kill him)
Ralph: I know how close you are to the family (Yeah... it'd be hard for you to kill him)
Tony: Nah... I feel for you... You're living under the same roof (Actually, its gonna be hard for you to do this)
Ralph: And it was my card game... (Yeah i get it... i'm supposed to kill him)
Tony: (Yup)
Ralph: But what happened to Sunshine was a disgrace (Yeah... like... Jackie really really has to die)
Tony: (yup)
Ralph: (you gonna say something?) To tell you the truth Tony... I want to give the kid a pass (I don't want to be responsible for this)
Tony: Yeah? (Are you fvkin kidding?)
Ralph: Its just me though, i know you got bigger concerns, you're the boss, and I'll make sure your orders are done whatever they may be (Well i'm not going to do it willingly, but if you force me to then fine. I'll kill the kid)
Tony: Well i think you should go with your instincts on this Ralph. (I'm not ordering sh*t. What you do is on you.)
Ralph: (Fvkkkk....) You do? (Come on man...) ... (Fvkkkk....) But Furio took a hit... and Chris... these are made men... (Well if I don't kill Jackie, its going to look bad on the family)
Tony: I'll make sure they respect your decision. Cuz i'm sure you're gonna do the right thing.... That's why I made you captain (Oh the family ain't gonna look bad. This is all on you. All of this is on you, so don't put this on anyone else. Because you're going to have to kill Jackie)
Ralph: This is Rosalie's kid (please don't make me... )
Tony: That's why I understand if you want to give him a pass. And I'm sure everyone else will understand too. And who cares about shit they say they don't have the balls to say to your face (If you don't do this, I'm going to make it clear to everyone that you're choosing against our own made guys and the family, you two faced sh*t talking fvk)
Ralph: (This is how its going to be huh?)
Tony: The kid disrespected you... but they don't have to live with your commitments... (Besides, you don't kill him then you look like a weak lil b*tch. And you fully put yourself in all of this you egomaniac)
Ralph: (GG Good Game)
Tony: And if the decision goes the other way... the one thing you can't do is blame yourself (Blame yourself you narcisistic fvk) You took this kid under your wing. You schooled him as best as you could... Didn't ya? (You completely fvked up my best friend's kid. I'm not gonna forget this. )
Ralph: .... Jack spoiled him... (Not my fault... besides, you can't prove it... )
Tony: I think this is yours... stupid kid was carrying it around during the holidays... (It's totally your fault)

• Really Like 1