Hondo's Bar

The Sopranos

B00003CXOP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This was it, this was the one that HBO proved a few things with:

1) You dindt have to look hollywood to pull off a good story; as a matter of fact, these guys look more like mafia than almost any gangster flick youve seen.

2) Reality TV could suck my dick.

I really think this one upped the ante - by being on HBO, it could cuss, have violence & sex galore, but the good writing kept it from being gratuitous. This wasnt a gangster-worship Scarface piece, either - this was a real look at how the mob works in today's society, within itself as well as their own families. The drama was huge, even for the first season - before HBO starting cracking down, there were public places you could go each week to view it with others.

Season 1, while an intro, set the pace for the whole thing, establishing who the real bosses were, who was watching, all of it. Season 2 - "it was a very good year..." - was a lotta cleanup & drama, and also managed to keep that whole let's tell the story a bit and let the shit hit the fan the last 3 or so episodes of the season thing. I was halfway through season 3 when i fell off, and recently got 3 back, so im hoping to catchup again sometime.

Any other fans? I hear season 5 was one of the best yet, cant wait to see it. I'm told the forthcoming season 6 is looking to be the finale, anyone else know if that's true?

sopranos.jpg

Sad, cause i didnt see Castle or whatever it was, so i just remember him playing a gay hitman in The Mexican.

Season 6 started? So is it the finale or no? Man, that's not gonna end peacefully.

And yeah, promo art for Sopranos is the kinda stylish art that got bitten/parodied a lot afterwards cause its good. That on in particlaur is practically wallpaper material, LL, thanks for that.

And yeah, promo art for Sopranos is the kinda stylish art that got bitten/parodied a lot afterwards cause its good. That on in particlaur is practically wallpaper material, LL, thanks for that.

DTLSopranosSmall.jpg

Just a bit... :misty:

Unfortunately, I never got past Season 2 (never been able to afford HBO, and until recently even the first few season dvds were selling for 80 bucks a set) but everything I've seen of it, I've loved. Definitely one of the all-time best shows on tv. I'm secretly hoping this season is the last, because I'd much rather it go out when it's still in its prime (unlike, say...The West Wing).

Just finished season 3, didnt realize id seen the whole thing before but it was cool again.

Im gonna go get season 4 soon, though ive read its potentially the slowest (least action) of them all, and my roomate's got 5.l Im told the current one, 6, will be the last official one, with a handful of "bonus" episodes next year finishing off the series...i gotta get caught up by then.

I hav not seen this series, but I am almost positive that anything you've heard about season 6 being the last is speculation. I just hear a radio interview last week with the actress that plays Tony Soprano's wife. She said that she hasn't made any post-Soprano's plans since she's not sure when teh series will end.

You might be right, but i got this from wikipedia:

It has enjoyed five very successful seasons, and is now in its sixth season, which premiered on March 12, 2006. In August 2005, HBO announced it was also producing eight "bonus" episodes that would debut in January 2007. It has been confirmed by the producers that the eight episodes will be the last of the series.

So thats why i take 6 to be the finale...we'll see. Its great, i just dont want the series going past the pont it oughta, but that's the writer's call.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished the series last week....damn.

I need some ending talk with those (2T? SB?) that mighve caught it & watched the whole way through, so crazy spoilers follow.

I read what was on wiki, and i tend to think Tony made it out alive.

NY was resolved/backed down, dont see the odd hitman having not gotten the word, plus i thought the point was to show "this is tony's life": feds on his ass, he's ready to pull a gun on his own daughter, trouble everywhere. Oh, and supposedly Journey wouldnt let em use the song to off the man.

On the other hand...

the episode starts with Tony's flashback to his brother in law saying "it happens with no sound" or whatever, and the thug going to the bathroom after looking at Tony is reminiscent of The Godfather, indeed, and the silence after "...stop" is...well, i guess i can see the argument, after thinking about it.

What's everyone else's take?

PS

i dont know what was more upsetting; not knowing if Sil made it through (i really liked him) or how shit went down with Johnny Sac, that was fucked.

most satisfying moment was Tony curbing that guy who fucked with his daughter, and that midget (pre-don status) almost shitting his pants. Tony flicks a fucking tooth of his pants at a teacher meeting like it aint no thing.

Finally finished the series last week....damn.

I need some ending talk with those (2T? SB?) that mighve caught it & watched the whole way through, so crazy spoilers follow.

Sadly, I'm still not caught up with The Sopranos. I'm all the way back on season 3. I've seen some other episodes here and there, but my knowledge of the narrative is still stuck on season 3. HBO still has their dvds at such damned high prices and I don't like watching tv shows on my computer screen, so I've been forced to take my time with it. I have seen the last scene, though - it's hard not to have, it's been talked about so much the last few weeks.

I was pretty blown away by the whole last season, and I've definately decided I loved the finale. I think the last scene was perfect, and I think the whole episode conciously avoided payoffs that fans were expecting, and gave us ones that were very fitting. I loved that by the end, regardless of the whole series proving that they have human emotions, and colorful personalities with three dimensions to them, they still end up being a pretty typical mob family, incapable of any significant change, and unlikely to end up in a situacion that we wouldn't expect of an average mobsters family. I like that we kind of learn that there really isn't anything special about these people, except that they are people. I read an article recently that suggests that in the finale we really learn that they are just TV show characters. I think we kind of learn both.

Here it is.

I dont quite agree with everything they say, they often analyze things way past the author's intent and kind of make up their own shit, and I don't think the episode is quite as much of a "fuck you" to people who take things to seriously as they do, I think it does what they say a bit, and is a serious episode at the same time. I do think their last paragraph and definately, the last line in the article, totally sums up the ending for me.

I think that people who just think it's a big gimmicky fuck you, or a lack of good ideas need to watch it in the exact opposite mindset of the people who had "Tony: alive or dead" bets going on, and had endings in mind that would be "the only way it could end."

Anytime anyone brought shit like that up to me, I suggested that the way the writers of the show end it is probably the only way it could end, and if you've enjoyed every inch of the show untill then, as I have, I think you owe it to yourself to see what they're trying to say.

Edited by JunkerSeed

alright, that was a pretty fun article, granted.

i definitely dont see it being "the only way it couldve ended", tho - i too thought he'd go to jail, mebbe get capped, etc but that itd be funny if nothing at all happened and he just kept doing what he does, instead of giving us the big scarface finale a lotta people prolly expected...but again, i liked what i took from this wiki entry:

Arguments are also made with equally strong conviction that the meaning of the final scene was that life is fraught with fear and danger but it goes on, as the lyrics of the closing song are believed to imply.[7][12] Supporters of this interpretation point out that because of Tony's peace agreement with the Lupertazzi family and their tacit sanction of a DiMeo hit on Phil Leotardo, there was no legitimate basis to expect a hit on Tony Soprano.[13] In a web chat, Bill Simmons of ESPN.com's Page 2 interpreted the ending as "the person he loves most was coming through the door, but they cut away right as his head was popping up in that split-second of 'Uh-oh, who's this?' fear that will consume the rest of Tony's life."[14]

Kinda ties in with what they were saying about Uncle Ju's standing/final interaction with Tony. but yeah, that link had some insights into piecing the rest of the episode together, that was interesting - thanks for thatn

Yeah, that wiki entry nails right on the head what me and my friends were saying when the episode ended, and thats when I decided I definately liked it. The thing that really works about that scene is that that is how tony has to live, from now on, every scene in his life is going to be cut together like that last one, every guy who goes to the bathroom is going to look like he's about to pull a gun from the toilet, and every song from the jukebox sounds like it'll be his last one.

Yeah how I loves the black lines. I must be the last person in the world that'd never seen this show before last week. I picked up the 1st season and... Eh. It's alright, but hasn't compelled me yet. I'figure it's something that'll grow on me though. Same goes for the Wire(although I'm pretty hooked there after 3 eps).