Hondo's Bar

The White Stripes-Under Blackpool Lights

Jables

Man, you gotta love the White Stripes. For a two-person band with primitive recording equipment, they're one of the most diverse acts out there. I've really only listened to their last two album (White blood cells & Elephant), but that's 'cause I'm too lazy to take my arse to a decent record shop to pick up their earlier efforts. Until now. I picked up Blackpool in Brisbane yesterday, and it hasn't left my dvd player yet. This' a seriously solid recording of their gig in Blackpool, England and it goes the fuck off. Jack White's energy is awesome, but that's only sideline to the girl who puts sex kitten & drummer together like snags an' burnt. I fuckin' swear Meg White's got equal stakes in talent and 'tude. The set list (which they apparently don't believe in putting together) was made up of Ledbetter covers, a ballad or two, and their finest works, old and new. Rarely do live sets actually pitch studio work to me, but I gotta get my hands on those first two albums...

Big fan of the White Stripes, excellent stuff. Didn't dig White Blood Cells so much (thought De Stijl was definitely better) but Elephant was a real return to form. Especially enjoy the tracks that Meg sings on. :D

Might see if I can rent this DVD since you seem pretty hyped about it Skeeter.

Archived