Hondo's Bar

Sony Sued and PS2 Sales Halted

Soviet Zangief

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=4&id=332037

According to Japan Today, the U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7 million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over controllers used with PlayStation game consoles. In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock controllers as well as more than 40 game software products.

...rough. Good link tho SZ.

Immersion may have a valid claim; im not big enough on copyright law to read through it to see how vauge their pattern is on such technology.

One thing worth stating is this doesnt mean Sony signs a big check; there's appeals and such in the future, and my understanding is that this applies to Sony of America; if they want a piece of Sony of Japan or UK, dont they have to file with those courts?

man, that thing (ps3) looked sleek from the promo shots....but all ive seen is that and the #'s on it. I think its due in japan by winter, no? Ive been debating tryin to get a ps2 back or just holdin out, bound to be backwards compatible...

but yeah, sales of the PSP are supposed to be good, i dont know how much this decision is gonna affect any of that...perhaps it might affect the dualshock controllers, which'd be a shame, cause im fond of the design, when its used right.

It did look pimp, I saw a demo on E! or something, it is supposed to be even more lifelike and very fluid motion, even to where it adapts to the conering / unever flooring ect... And yes it is supposed to be backwards compatable. (which actually encourages people to buy it)

I am definatly buying the ps3.

Archived