Hondo's Bar

Horror Movie Month Poll

What's your fave Horror movie?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's horror movie month. I personally love horror movies. I'm just curious as to what everyone's take is on a certain favorite horror movie. If it isn't listed. post it. I can only post 20 choices unfortunately-

Discuss what's good about it.

out of those evildead I II and army of darkness are the best. its not that they are scary but just fucking hilarious. i like the old horror movies that are almost funny.

a few of my favorites are

flesh eating mothers

killer clowns from outer space

carrie (but not the second one it sucked)

children shouldnt play with dead things

the first one and last one no one has probably heard of but if you like corny old horror movies you will love them!

haha...nice, POD

I guess the Shining, for classic Jack, but i havent seen a few of the slashers here. A horror/b-movie buff used to tell me Reanimator was the goriest she'd seen.

Ive enjoyed asian horror over the last few years - Ringu, The Eye, 3 extremes, Audition, and the scariest one, Ju-On: The Curse...that shit was great.

I have know idea how it was marketed in Japan. I would just love it if they sold it as a romantic comedy, how many dates would that fuck up. When I first saw it some girl walked out of the cinema during the um, defooting scene. Her boyfriend stayed till the end though.

Props to Audition, other horror movies... hmm. You might debate if some of these are horror movies, but they all fucked me up in a significant way.

Battle Royale, lots of strong horror elements, the dream like sequence when the school bus is gassed and pulled out of normal life forever, and then there's some excellent sound design for some of the sickle killings.

Then there's the all time scariest villain in horror, Bob from Twin Peaks (Fire Walk With Me if your going to be strict to the movie rule). Other bad guys need knifes to scare you all bob needed to do is be there, there where he shouldn't be.

I'm sure I can think of more in time probably as a jump out of bed in a cold sweat screaming "redrum, redrum!"

Hmm.. so many good ones (and ones that are so bad they're good =P). I chose The Howling (I like werewolves), though the Evil Dead trilogy comes in rather high ranked as well. Would Shaun of the Dead be considered a horror film or a comedy? That movie's also a favorite.

Haven't heard anything, although I have rather low expectations for it. As for the released original, I agree: the stair cene was really creepy :villiager:. By the way, has anyone heard anything abut the new Army of Darkness movie? I've heard wishfull thihnking over the years, and that their was an anouncement at one of the more recent Bruce Campbell movies shown at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. Bubba Hotep, I think.

My favorites are "Carnival of Souls" (the original mind, not the hokey "Wes Craven Present's" one) and "Society". As for that Excorcist flick it sucked balls until they could wrinkle no more. I actually walked out of the theater and left my friends there then crossed the highway to go to some chain-family-fucksterant for a couple of drinks. Fucking terrible.

The list up there I'm with IC, that feeling ya get at the end when they show that picture and JackTorrence is standing there with glass and grin. Gives me chills...

myersani1bi.gif

I have to go with Carpenter's 1978- "Halloween".

All sequels aside...

Halloween is one of those films where the attention to detail is evident in every frame. While there are many memorable moments, three scenes stand out above the rest. The first is the long, unbroken opening sequence where the young Michael dons a clown mask and murders his sister. Often copied, but never equaled, this scene was unique for its time and reminiscent of Psycho's shower murder for its effect. The second also occurs early in the movie, as Michael escapes from the asylum during a rain storm. To this day, I find these to be the most chilling three minutes of the movie. Finally, there's the scene near the end where Laurie is banging on a locked door while Michael approaches slowly and inexorably from behind. It's a credit to Carpenter that, no matter how many times you've seen the movie, the tension at this point still mounts to a palpable level.

h1lookdn3yg.jpg

Despite being relatively simple and unsophisticated, Halloween's music is one of its strongest assets. Carpenter's dissonant, jarring themes provide the perfect backdrop for Michael's activity, proving that a film doesn't need a symphonic score by an A-line composer to be effective. Carpenter's Halloween main title, one of the horror genre's best-recognizable tunes, can bring chills even away from the theater. Try putting it in the tape deck when you're alone in the car sometime after midnight on a lonely country road, and see if you feel secure.

Halloween remains untouched -- a modern classic of the most horrific kind in my opinion.

Archived