Hondo's Bar

THE PINK PANTHER POLL

Have you seen the new Pink Panther?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It actually isn't a remake, it's a prequel. But no, Steve Martin is no Peter Sellers, that's quite a legacy to live up to. But anyone whose seen Revenge of the Pink Panther and Son of the Pink Panther should know that this is not the worst of the series by a longshot.

Wait... you're getting hung up on the gray hair? :muggin: Honestly, when have you EVER seen Steve Martin dye his hair for a role, but it's supposed to be a prequel, Inspector Closeau was already in inspector in the first movie, this shows his first case, hence why Kato or whatever his name was isn't there.

So, techinically, Clouseau was grey. Rogained. Went brunette. Kato later.

Makes sense.

IMDB...

Steve Martin refuses to dye his trademark white hair.

The ‘Man With Two Brains’ star says whenever he does change the colour of his locks, his films flop.”

Please don't tell me you're looking for logic in a Pink Panther movie. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad they got Martin. A lesser comedic actor would've either gone through the movie doing a bad Sellers impersonation or worse-yet, brough their own limited schtick to it (both Mike Myers and believe it or not Chris Tucker were considered for the role before Martin, can you imagine?). Martin seems like he's less concerned with being Peter Sellers and more concerned about just making it funny, and that's the way it should be. No one will do it as good as Sellers did, but chances are nobody will do it as good as Martin does either.

As for Life and Death...I wouldn't call it accurate but it's...interesting. Sellers once said that if there was ever a "real him" he had it surgically removed. He would quip that the reason he was so good with vastly different characters was because he had no real personality of his own, and the film runs with this theory. You won't get much insight into Sellers because neither the film nor the characters nor even Sellers himself seemed to have any insight to give. But it's still an interesting movie. Geoffrey Rush's performance is both great and kinda creepy. He's never quite Peter Sellers and he's never quite Geoffrey Rush, but rather a strange mix of them both. The performance really shines - tellingly - when he's playing Peter Sellers playing somebody else. When he's doing Sellers doing Strangelove or Sellers doing Clouseau it's an almost uncanny portrayal. One warning though, if you're a Sellers fan and you watch it, you may come out still being a fan of his movies but not really liking the man anymore.

Archived