Hondo's Bar

Earthbound

The NZA

honestly, i wish i had the original huge box it came in - i dumped all my cheap cardboard SNES boxes, but i held onto that one, it just didn't survive one of my many dorm moves. i'd happily buy a bootleg of it, that Mother 3 one if a fan-made one in the same vein.

oh! and a Mr Staurn doll, totally missing that

All I have is a Ness Amiibo. weep.gif

I used to have a massive (store-bought) NES, SNES and N64 box collection - all tossed in a psychotic effort in parenting. I managed to salvage most of my manuals and Nintendo Powers, though. biggrin.png (saved 'bout 40 issues - lost all my Player's Guides...I was a subscriber, they gave out a lot of swag. My earliest 'surviving' issue is #32 - Jan 1992)

Nintendo-Power-Volume-32-960x1287.jpg

It has the first part of the Link to the Past comic series...the first of the Nintendo Power comics.

I remember them running the Earthbound demo reel at Babagges - begged my mother for it, but when she saw the size and price of it - she was like, 'Heeell no! You got enough Nintendo shit. That's too much.'

I would've loved to have that Player's Guide. Nintendo Power had a killer preview of it in an issue - man, I wanted that game so bad as a youngin'.

part1.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

So, after years of only seeing references to the game, and only finding out about it because of the first Smash Bros games ("Who the fuck is Ness?" My younger self said) and at the goading of a coworker I finally finished Earthbound. Sometimes it felt like a chore, other times it was a joy to play. Mostly a joy. Definitely one of the weirdest games I've ever played and funniest too. I loved the characters and music. I only wish I played it when I was a kid so I could appreciate it more, cause I can see it being infinitely more charming when it came out, and that is saying alot.

So the question is, is Mother 3 a better game?

so glad you liked it, man! still one of my favorites, and yeah having played it as a kid, it was this amazing,quirky RPG that was unlike anything i'd played then. revisiting it as an adult - yeah, it's a dragon quest clone combat-wise, but man, the social satire Itoi's doing was incredible too, i missed so much of that in the day, or just couldn't yet relate, haha.

the last boss, for example: it was dark, but i had no idea just how dark till i got older and everyone was talking about it.

speaking of, Mother 3 is fantastic (and in no way connected), there's parts that might be a bit grindier and...well, some dark parts too. absolutely worth playing if you dug this, and hopefully we get more news about it coming to VC at E3 or so? everyone's assuming it'll be on switch & that'd be great, but it's nintendo so you really can't rule out it only going to the WU by the fall or something crazy, haha.

PS the OST is absolutely a happy place for me too, yeah

So, axels' playthrough got me wanting to dive back in, and I decided to pick up where I'd left off years ago with a repro cart of mother 0 (Earthbound origins on WU) - went with the easy patch version to cut down on grinding, and I think I'm on my way to my 3rd party member now!

There's absolutely places/characters they reused for the SNES game but there's enough of its own game here that I'm really digging...mostly just excited there's still an Itoi written adventure I've not yet finished

Decided to hold off replaying 3 until we finally see it digitally too!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

ph6-4.jpg

Arino (GameCenter CX) & Shigesato Itoi talk about 30 years of Earthbound/Mother

recently translated piece & it's really heartwarming; i love both these dudes (especially itoi) and the commnetary on iwata's input, miyamoto putting a team together (and itoi thinking he was shot down), all of it is just a great read

Itoi: Oh, I see your main character’s name is Peepee — that’s what I name him, too. [Standard name: Ness]

Arino: Oh you had the same idea? (Laughs)

Itoi: Peepee, Panties, stuff like that.

Arino Kacho: Oh, Panties, I didn’t think of that. I picked my other names from the default selection. You might not be the person to confess this to, but I wish I could change the name of my character. Playing with a main character called Peepee really takes the wind out of the emotional scenes. (Laughs)

Itoi: It’s hard to feel a deep emotion behind the words “What’s wrong, Peepee?”

• 2 years later...