Hondo's Bar

Cars

Reverend Jax

So I went to see Cars last night. While we continue to get CGI movie after CGI movie with plenty of laughs but not as much long term value, Pixar continues to deliver on the quality. Lots of characters with character and emotion. Good stuff. Now, iamong CGI films, Cars is a gem, but alongside Pixar's collection, Cars is a pinch better than Bug's Life but not better than Toy Story, or Toy Story 2, or Monster's Inc, or Finding Nemo or the Incredibles. It's a hard body of work to live up consistantly, let alone totop with every movie. Unfortunately their next movie (for whcih they had a teaser in front of this movie), looks to be another that I think will not exceed the previous, but we'll see. The Short that played at the beginning, 'One Man Band' was great if you like shorts carried by music (like the Tom & Jerry where Tom is a concert pianist and Jerry is causing mischieve from within the piano), like I do.

All in all, I recommend it if you that A Bug's Life was worth your time or if you like cars and/or racing.

I agree that pixar is by far one of the only companies out there that seem to actually care and it shows, this movie was great, I'm waiting to go see it with some different people just as an excuse. I have no interest in cars, or nascar related activity but even with that in mind I still loved this movie.

The other ones I'm anticipating when it comes to cgi/animated films are Steve Oedekerks' "Barnyard", and apparently Wes Andersons' next project "The fantastic Mr.Fox"

Cars is a pinch better than Bug's Life but not better than Toy Story, or Toy Story 2, or Monster's Inc, or Finding Nemo or the Incredibles.

All in all, I recommend it if you that A Bug's Life was worth your time or if you like cars and/or racing.

I loved A Bug's Life!!! You can't go wrong with the begining of the film when all the ants are collecting for the harvest and a leaf falls and one of the ants yells: "I'M LOOOOOOOOOSSSSTTTTT!!!" And the older ants come around and tell him to just walk around the leaf and that that was nothing compared to the tig of '93! Oh man... yeah my lil sister made me watch that movie alot... but it's just a really great film. So if I liked the ants then I'm inclined to check out Cars this Sunday with my lil sister. (ahhh She's so CUTE!)

All pixar movies have been awesome thus far...

• 5 years later...

cars-2-rotten.jpg

It’s only fair, I suppose, that if we run articles trumpeting the fact that other Pixar movies have achieved some form of massively positive consensus on Rotten Tomatoes, that when the company finally releases one that falls far short of the same margin, it would be worth noting. So this weekend will stand as a milestone in the history of Pixar, as Cars 2 opens to the first generally negative consensus opinion in the company’s experience.

That isn’t to say that the film will be a flop. Far from it, in fact. It isn’t tracking through the roof, but Cars 2 will perform well enough, even if it doesn’t hit the box-office highs of other Pixar films. This is primarily a critical failure. But while there is that oft-discussed gulf between critical and public opinion, some critical failures do suggest that producers really misjudged what audiences want. Cars characters have moved ten billion bucks worth of merchandise in the past five years, which sure suggests there is an audience for a sequel.

(For the record, the Metacritic rating for Cars 2 is currently at 59. Slightly better than Rotten Tomatoes, which polls many more reviews. But still not good.)

somewhere, jax weeps.

Archived