Hondo's Bar

Monster

The NZA

Monster.JPG

"Dusseldorf, West Germany in 1986. One day, Dr. Kenzo Tenma ignored his boss's order and executed humanitarian rescue of a man's child. That's how this horrible story begins!!"

summary:

Dr. Kenzo Tenma is a young Japanese doctor working at the Eisler Memorial Hospital in Düsseldorf during the 80s. A highly accomplished brain surgeon, he appears to have everything on his plate: a promotion in the offing, the favor of the director of the hospital, Heinemann, and his daughter Eva as fiancée. However, Tenma grows increasingly dissatisfied with the political bias of the hospital for treating patients, and seizes his chance to change things after a strange massacre brings the twins Johan and Anna Liebert into his hospital. Johan has a gunshot wound to the head and Anna keeps muttering about killing, and Tenma decides to operate on Johan instead of a prominent politician. Johan is saved, but the politician dies. Tenma loses all his social standing and Eva as a consequence. However, Heinemann and other doctors in Tenma's way are mysteriously murdered, and both children disappear from the hospital soon after. The police suspect Tenma, as he benefits greatly from this turn of events, but have no evidence, and so can do no more than question him.

At this point, the story advances to nine years later. Tenma has been recently promoted to Chief of Surgery. However, he is about to come face to face with a sociopath - a sociopath that he helped save.

Its a critically acclaimed manga, New Line got the rights to a US film on it, and i wasnt even aware it was a series - anyone seen it?

I got the whole manga but now i gotta find the show, wondering how faitful it is...

I.. I am going to have to start taking some serious measures to get Cj to post on this damn board (at least post once a day or SOMETHING.)

He hasn't read it, but he's watched it. Seemed pretty fucked up if my memory serves to be correct.

Indeed you are. I thought he'd watched it.

nick-

Monster may start off slow kinda, but it completely does a turnaround.

it's a real mind fucked kind of anime, and avery long phsycological thriller. it's really really really good. i would watch a lot of episodes, then stop for a bit, and when i picked it back up i was wondering why i stopped inthe first place.

i recommend it. i have a big chunk of the anime, but i don't know which ones are on there. some are missing, but i'll try and find them and send them to you.

yeah, thanks Seej, your input's always valued here man. Im knee deep in GITTS SAC cause of your say-so, too.

Lemme know what you got, i can always just download what's missing. Im looking forward to it a lot now, but i know MH's postofficeaphobia so ill wait, heh.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Nick and I are really into this one. It's so freaking intense and mind blowing! I definitely recomend it to anyone who likes psychological thrillers with a hint of scary! The ending song is soooooooo creepy. At first you think its going to be this somewhat supernatural type of fiction but it isn't... at least what I've seen. Every episode leaves you off on a cliff hanger, so it forces to keep watching!

GO WATCH IT NOW! :2T:

im getting mine offa demonoid, i can look for the team's name if you want, its quality work.

that said, there's like 60 episodes i wanna say, and ive downloaded up to nearly 30 or so....when its done, i can put it to disc if you want, man.

i watched the first 3 as a single arc, and that's what got me, its pretty much the prologue.

Ly - what you got to trade? im down for any of the stuff ive asked about in the recommendation thread (tho i think newt's getting some of that), also you recommended one just recently in one of these threads that id be donw to see.

Well, i had this bookmarked.

Oh, right. That was Mushishi. Unfortunately, the hosting service only has the first 5 minutes available without installing their program and registering (which it wouldn't let me do. Register, that is. The bastards. *shakes fist angrily*). I should have some episodes on disc, though.

alright. someone needs to catch up with me ASAP because i'm dying to talk about this anime, plot wise. This anime creeped me out like two times in teh recenet episodes I saw. "The amazing steiner" had such a great ending line. It really made my hairs stand. It was creepy in the sense of "ew grows" but in teh sense of "holy shit" kind of way.

Anywy, this show is probably the best i've seen in ages. Can't recommend it enough!

• 4 weeks later...

The amazing steiner's rage... what an episode... :misty: My favorite character has to be Mr. Grimmer.

grimmer.jpg

Anywya, I finished watching the anime. Without giving away any of the ending I just want to say that it definitely leaves the viewer to their own interpretation. i love japanese writing. They never really give you an ending ENDING. You guys need to catch up so that we can discuss this one! Definitely those interested in psychology and some sociology will be interested in this anime. I recommend it 100%. Characters are all well rounded and very believable that they are human and sometimes you just can't help but sympathize with them. The story keeps you hooked until the very end because you just don't know what's going to happen. Again, can't recommend this one enough.

Archived