Hondo's Bar

stan lee vs lucas

Guest madman

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speakin about who directed the SW movies... here's a DYN for you: Did you know that David Lynch (director of the TV series Twin Peaks, movies Mulhullond drive, the Elephant man, Dune, eraserhead, Blue Velvet, other cool stuff you haven't seen)  was the first one to be offered the job to direct Return of the Jedi?  He turned it down to do Dune.  If any of you have seen anything Lynch has done (ignore lost highway) you know that Return of the Jedi would have been a very different movie...  Yoda probably would have talked backwards, the whole series would have ended up being a dream, and Princess Leia probably would have been a lesbian.  Though it would have been every odd, a small part of me wishes he woulda done it....

the smarter part of me wishes i could go back in time and stop the past me from reading what you wrote too easy too easy.

ps and for the record regardless of what you may have heard bill gates and i are not plannig an invasion on general thank you please keep your eyes open the day on reconing is upon us.

You guys are just too cruel!  Never mind the fact that Lucas and Lee have created the movies and comics which we spend countless hours reading and drooling over.  I guess that's why it is so easy to criticize, because all we have to do is read the stories, not write them.  Did Stan Lee and Lucas screw people over?  OF COURSE!  Their writers, not saints!!!!  Still that shouldn't take any from the fact that each created the most popular fictional characters EVER!  The characters each of us would watch, and then run around fighting imaginary Stormtroopers in our rooms.  Did they do it alone?  No one ever does anything alone.  Of course Kirby deserves some credit, as does the actors of Star Wars and the guy who brought everyone coffee in the morning.  All art is a team effort!  I only hope that if any of you people are lucky enough to create something and be famous for it, that others won't hate you for treating your girlfriends poorly or not giving enough to charity. :hmph:  I would have voted for both if I had the chance!

Alright, Stewie, ill stay away from Luc-ass for the time bein, but Stan the man i gotta say somethin.

I often credit the writer with the creation of a character too.  But in this case, well lets take Spider-Man.

Supposedly, Stan wakes up one nite round 3am, calls & wakes up Steve Ditko & says "Ive got it! A man with spider powers! A spider-man!".  

Next day, Steve designs Spidey's costume, powers, entire style, and much of his origin. Stan handles the leftovers ("make him a wrestler!") & names him Peter Parker.  So, did Stan create Spider-Man, or Steve, if it comes down to it?

Same way with legendary Jack Kirby, with the x-men, fantastic four, avangers, captain america...most of the marvel universe.

But when Kirby was dying & simply wanted his original art to go to his family and Marvel said "no" - they were huge dicks back in the day, hence why the lost Frank Miller, and alla those guys left to make Image - well, lets just say that Stan the man, despite his former "best friend"'s pleas, decided to shut up for the first time in his life, and did nothing.  Of course, after Kirby's death, Stan took credit for (his words here) "Whatever wasnt nailed down".  Even today, if you came up with an entirely new guy for Marvel, your book would start "Stan Lee presents"...do you see DC doin that shit with Bob Kane, Jerry Seigel etc?  

And Stan's recent batch of re-telling the DC legend's origins just goes to show that his "creativity" apparently died alongside Kirby.  

I know im bein rough here, but while Stan was a great writer back in the day, he's not the living legend Marvel lets him pimp himself out as, hence why StanLee.net and its hundreds of new characters went bankrupt after only a few months.  

I only jump on Lee's ass because he seems to take all the credit for Kirby's massive contributions with a smile.

in addition let's take superman if you want to talk about famous characters who the fuck made him why aren't they a living legend superman one of the first superpowered humans ever you know why because hell man they were too stupid to name the fucking superman till the general public assumed that to be his name cause of the s and all superman is really a jew but that shit don't fly but inspit of bad writing he lives on because the idea was that good not the creators stan lee now there's a piece all it's own even though his characters are super popular are them any where near the popularity of superman batman spiderman is close but still that's a big gap ain't it honestly marvel is second rate i read 'em i love the characters but their still second to dc all of dc mind you

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, Jerry Sigel & Shuster (sic) had the Superman name down from early on, i read bout that.  As for bein 2nd rate, yeah DC really got goin at the end of the 30's, whereas Marvel got on its feet in the 60's.  Nevermind DC's owned by AOL/Time Werner...

Just wanted to mention alla that & drop a new weapon for the shit-tossin contest in Stan Lee's favor...:ill:

cover.jpg

PS it aint over. Accordin to Dccomics.com, he's still got Shazam, Aquaman, Catwoman, Crisis, and finally, Sandman ( ! ) before his reign of terror ends. The horror...

Theyre both dead now i believe but even if the S was for their name, he was only in action comics for..i forget, not very long before bein in Superman # 1 and im pretty sure by then the S was for Super, so even if your storie's true, at least they got it right when it counted.  Cmon, Siegal-Man? Shuster-Man? Where'd ya read that anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well folks episode II is but a few weeks away or so, so we'll finally have the winnah of this one out soon for you, thanks for stayin tuned to George "fuck em, here's some N-Sync" Luc-ass vs Stan "My website died 'cause i cant create shit without Jack Kirby" Lee.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,this thread's dead anyway, and a post from Jont over at Preacher's inspired this lame idea, so takin from the shit-on-paper idea i shelled out a bit for called "Just Imagine Stan Lee..." (Where he attempts to redo the DC universe; dont worry, it sucks), here's a go at a fun game with ol' Stan the Man, lets keep this shit idea goin for a wee bit.

Just Imagine Stan Lee...stanlee1.jpg

Naked ...

Alright, Georgey-boy's doin better since episode II, i admit.  That shit was cool. But Stan the man...i guess i should outline why i dont like his ass, as i did over in Preacher's.  Christ, this oughta be moved to Xavier's, at this rate.

DA..youre buyin into Hype.  Stan is shit.  Imagine this:

Stan: Ive got an idea for a guy who's like a spider!

Steve Ditko: Ok, here's his costume, his powers, etc...

Stan: ill name him Peter Parker! ok, then the whole thing's my idea, off to copyright it!

...etc. Will Eisner revolutionized, as did Jack Kirby (the artist Stan takes credit for, hasnt been shit since Jack died), Miller, even Cleremont or Byrne to an extent tho i dont like em.  Ellis & Ennis did their end with Vertigo, and its there ideas...you see how fuckin brainwashed Stan gets people? He's got you givin him credit for fuckin Preacher!

What bullshit.  Garth is only who he is 'cause he read quality shit like 2000 AD growin up, not our cookie-cutter "everyone in tights!" nonsense, and thats comin from a guy who loves superheroes.

Way I hear it in Ennis interviews...the difference is, over in UK, theyre taught to write short stories, etc but more importantly, if youre not bringin somethin new to the table, dont bother showin up.

Here, most of our guys wanna get big & write for the big names like Spider-Man, etc where they cant really do much creatively. Follow? And for that, yeah, i blame Stan "The Man".

So while i love Marvel, it is what it is only in a small part 'cause of him, not cause his damn name's on everythin.  He may have reformed comics a bit by his "inspiration" of Kirby & Ditko, but the revolutionaries are the ones i mentioned...Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Will Eisner, many others...dont forget that.

...that's all im tryin to say. Ya know i love comics, and i really love Marvel comics, but i love the creators more, and i hate not givin credit where its due; thats all i got against Stan.

• 8 years later...