Hondo's Bar

Unreal Tournament

crimsonfire

UT.jpg

Unreal Tournament: Many FPS have tried to better it, NONE have succeeded in my opinion. The gameplay was second to none whether you were a crazed mouse-basher or calculating frag surgeon. The graphics while they have aged slightly still strike a good balance between detail and performance. In other words you dont need a bloody nuclear powered gfx card to run it. Its also a ridiculously straight forward game with the option to customise with a wealth of mods, game modes etc. The weapons were just classic too. I never got tired of turning some poor fucker into ceiling paint with a flak cannon or lobbing someones head off with a sniper rifle. Another good thing about it was it was originally a win 95/98 game but unlike many other quality win 95 titles it still works perfectly with XP.

Overall a kick ass game. Discuss...

It wont. The sequels just added a load of unnecessary crap. If it aint broke dont fix it. Maybe a redux of the original game would be cool as long as everything is left exactly the same just with new maps, mods and updated graphics. The graphics isnt a big thing for me though, it was just simply a very enjoyable game.

Have you checked out the ChaosUT mod that came on a separate disc with the GOTY edition? Bastard swords, crossbows, medieval castle maps, the whole freakin lot. Only thing better than disembowelling your enemy with hot shards of metal is disembowelling your enemy with a single, room temperature shard of metal.

Oh yeah. Totally. Dude, my UT2k4 is well over 10 gigs. Full of total conversion mods, maps, character models, and unusually cool vehicles (One of my favorite mod has always been the 'matrix moves' mod. Total fun). The whole mod support is the big reason why I cannot wait for the next UT. Like you said, they may not make the game any better, but I'm sure it'll be just as good as the others.

DoJ - arent you looking to get a PS3 tho? that version's supposed to support PC mods, ya know.

ive no plans on getting this game, but itd be tempting if all of ya'll were in on it. I uh, stopped after Quake 2, so uh, what did UT do that Quake didnt, besides ditch the single player?

DoJ - arent you looking to get a PS3 tho? that version's supposed to support PC mods, ya know.

ive no plans on getting this game, but itd be tempting if all of ya'll were in on it. I uh, stopped after Quake 2, so uh, what did UT do that Quake didnt, besides ditch the single player?

Other then then the crazy insane speeds, the wicked awesome mods,the mind blowing multi-player online frag-a-thon that goes on and the batshit crazy guns that put other games to shame.

Nothing much really.

come christmas/new years, i should be on the PSN anyway, fingers crossed, then its working on getting a wii

and as for what UT did that quake didnt?

bring the standards of gameplay up to an all new level, use colours other than brown to make a game?

make the enemies believable to some extent?

be fun?

true, but that's a year-old 3rd person shooter that, as i understand it, was done quite differently (graphics wise) thought i could be wrong. grays are as big as browns these days in shooters tho - again, Resistance, Killzone 2, etc. im guessing thats why Halo 3 goes for all that bloom, to stand out.

I'd download that right now and make sweet frag-love to it all night long but for the fact that i only have a year old laptop and a broadband connection that would make a snails top speed seem like Mach 1. And you guys think your comps sucks? (excluding the likes of Doj and Venom natch)

But ya know what? The first UT runs sweet as a nut on my craptop with all the pretty details turned on. Just one of the things that makes me love it so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived