Hondo's Bar

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Da Cap'n

Props to the folks at Anime & Comics (Anime Hurricane) for this find!

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann takes place in a fictional future where human beings have been forced underground and thrive in isolated subterranean civilizations on Earth. These "villages" have no contact with the surface world nor other villages. Since frequent earthquakes damage infrastructure, the villages must constantly expand deeper into the earth—individuals designated to this task are known as "diggers".

Giha Village is the home of Simon, a fourteen year old digger who was orphaned when his parents were killed in an earthquake. He is respected by the village elder as the best of the diggers, but is ostracized by his peers. After discovering a special drill key deep in the ground, he is recruited by an eccentric fellow orphan named Kamina into his group, the "Team Gurren". Kamina dreams of the surface world, which he visited as a child with his father but had to return home because he was too weak to survive.

After a failed attempt at reaching the surface, Kamina is jailed by the elder and Simon resumes digging, only to discover "a big face" deep in his tunnel. As he excitedly fetches Kamina to show him the discovery, he is caught by the village elder, but Kamina's punishment is interrupted by the ceiling of Giha Village collapsing as an enormous robot falls into the cavern. A girl named Yoko appears and tries to fight the robot with a large rifle, but initially cannot do much. Simon takes Kamina and Yoko to the "big face" he found earlier and discovers that the small drill key can be used to activate the small robot, which he uses to end up destroying the much larger robot and effectively break through to the surface.

It is on the surface that Simon and Kamina discover that there are more large robots known as Gunmen piloted by "Beastmen" that terrorize the surface dwellers during the day. Simon and Kamina help Yoko and her village destroy three more Gunmen and Kamina takes one for himself, naming it Gurren. Eventually, Simon and Kamina decide that they will go on a journey to end the constant struggle between Beastmen and humans. Simon and Kamina are initially accompanied by Yoko and a mechanic from Yoko's village named Leeron as they head out to find the Beastmen's Human Eradication Army main head-quarters, while dealing with various Beastmen warriors, including the vicious Viral.

Man, what a great anime! I had been outta the anime game for a while and honestly wasn't really interested in ever going back... until this show! Well, I still don't care to go back, but this crap was awesome! It's 27 episodes, but it goes so fast and it reinvents itself at least twice so you can never get bored! Think of it as FLCL meets Gundam Wing! EVERY EPISODE is awesome, period! Here's some pics...

main.jpg

BSS-AnonTengenToppaGurren-Lagann-18.mkv00000.jpg

yokocr4.jpg

gurrenlagannrj3.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, but I know for a fact that once you guys watch this you'll take all that stuff back! You're gonna wish you guys got to it sooner rather than later. Nick, when have I ever put you on to crap (Toxin doesn't count)? I'm gonna go ahead and say this... It's the best anime I've seen since Berserk. There I said it.

Dead Leaves yeah! I loved that shit! But there's a big difference between a 90 minute movie and a 27 episode show. We're talkin' from begining to end, EVERY episode is awesome! How many animes have you seen that are good for EVERY episode? The beginning and ending might be great, but you know that there's always filler crap episodes in all anime. Not one in Gurren Lagann!

What, you had to have Dead Leaves recommended to you RECENTLY? Good lord. Next you'll be telling me you've never seen the twenty other things I recommended to ya.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the best mecha I've seen in YEARS. Possibly since Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid. It never forgets to be a mecha show, which is rare. Shows like Gundam Wing seem to occasionally forget about the giant robots in favor of people bitching about how much their giant-robot filled lives are miserable. Soap Opera nonsense.

Gurren Lagann never really establishes itself as a mech anime (yeah, it does, but that's not it). I think that's all about the people. Like Berserk, it really focuses on the characters. The fact that they're all in mechs is not really the point. It's really an anime about the people. I want Nick to watch it and give his opinion. I know he'll agree.

See, now it's sounding more like Evangelion, which is cool. That one and Escaflowne - hell, even Macross Plus, to an extent - struck me at first as being about just the mechs, but they very much weren't.

Again, its on my drive courtesy of Newt, be checking it out this week after all this hype.

Gurren Lagann never really establishes itself as a mech anime (yeah, it does, but that's not it). I think that's all about the people. Like Berserk, it really focuses on the characters. The fact that they're all in mechs is not really the point. It's really an anime about the people. I want Nick to watch it and give his opinion. I know he'll agree.

See, I'm aware of the characters as they're well developed, but it doesn't ever forget it's a mecha. There's at least a giant robot fight per episode, occasionally forsaken for other things ((that one episode where Simon punched Rossiu was fantastic all the same)), but it never forgets to have amazing mech battles. Unlike, say, Code Geass.

The characters are very much worth following though, yes.

• 1 month later...
Props to the folks at Anime & Comics (Anime Hurricane) for this find!

Man, what a great anime! I had been outta the anime game for a while and honestly wasn't really interested in ever going back... until this show! Well, I still don't care to go back, but this crap was awesome! It's 27 episodes, but it goes so fast and it reinvents itself at least twice so you can never get bored! Think of it as FLCL meets Gundam Wing!

Don't you ever compare a great show such as this to crap wing. NEVER!!!!!

One of the many exciting news at the Tokyo Anime Fair today - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann theatrical release is confirmed by to be scheduled in September.

I'm guessing the movie takes place during the time gap.

• 2 months later...